13. Party?

Lauren's POV

I was playing more of the song that I had started to write for Camila and I had finally gotten a few more lyrics down.

"...but our lips refuse to move."

I strum the six stringed instrument along with my words and let a subtle smile take over my face as I continue.

"Give me the space to return...return the breath you've stolen, give me the means to--"

I was interrupted by my phone ringing. I looked down onto my table and see Demi's picture pop up. I put down my guitar and reach over to pick it up.

"Howdy there." I greet her.

"You suck at pretending to be a cowgirl Laur." She laughs. "Open your door, I'll be there in about 10 seconds."

"And you called me to announce that, instead of knocking?"

"Um, yes. Now open it loser." She hangs up and I walk over to the door, swiftly opening it.

Demi rushed in and sat on the couch in my room.

"Dig this. So there's this guy at my job downtown..."

"You have a job downtown?" I ask.

"Um McDonalds girl. Been there for a week. Being your RA is cool an all but literally there's nothing around here to do but watch you guys be all educational." She frills her fingers.

"Educational? Demi you graduated just last year. It was your choice to be an RA here." I chuckle.

"Aw well you know I couldn't just leave you here alone." She pinches my cheeks. "My little Laur Laur."

I swat her hand away and give her a fake smile. "Whatever...go on."

"He has the most beautiful face I've seen on a human being." She says and holds a hand up to her chest.

"That's it?" I quirk up an eyebrow. "Mhm." She smiles. "Now, where were you last night? I knocked on your door and I figured you were sleep...although that was around 8."

"Oh, I was just giving Camila a lift home." I shrug.

She smirks at me and jumps to my bed with excitement. "Oh your girlfriend?" She says with a sly smile. "She's not my girlfriend Dems." She lifts an eyebrow and scoots closer. "You guys are cute though if it helps." She smiles.

"Still writing that sappy love song for her?" She laughs. "Its not sappy, and yes. I mean, I always finish what I start eh?" I acknowledge fiddling with my pencil.

"So party tonight at Cece's. Gonna go?" She asks. "Party? I can't." I say. "Come on Laur! Cece always throws the best parties, and they get even more hype with you being there." She was now shaking my right arm.

I lift off from the bed and go over to grab a drink from my mini fridge. I pop it open and take a sip before sitting it down and giving her a serious look.

"I told Camila I'd pick her up from her parents house tonight Demi, besides, we all know what happened the last time I went to one of Cece's parties..." I start. "Laur, that was last year. Why are you still beating yourself up about it?" She questions. "Demi, it changed things for me. It changed me." I say quietly. "Lauren what happened after that party was not you--" "It was my fault. It was all my fault, can you not see?!" I gesture to my room.

"I live here Demi. Just me. Alone. I'm not allowed to have another roommate. I'm here by myself. I get up every morning and think about that every day...and inside...it really does hurt me." I croak.
She gets up and pulls me into a gentle embrace. She rubs my back and I silently sob into her shoulder.