Short And Dark

Knock

   Knock. Knock. Knock.
   Had they finally caught up to them? Would this be the place where their lives would finally end?
   Knock. Knock. Knock.
   A man with a green tint to his hair looked up at the lanky, blonde man standing next to him.
   Knock. Knock. Knock.
   Three weeks. They had been running for three solid weeks from an unseen force that wished destruction upon them.
   Knock. Knock. Knock.
   Where were their friends? They said they would come to rescue them as soon as possible. Where. Were. They?!
   KNOCK. KNOCK. KNOCK.
   The pounding on the door grew louder. It wouldn't be long now. The blonde man's eyes held remorse, but only for a moment. They soon held acceptance.
   KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.
   "Ben... You know what we have to do," He whispered to the green haired man.
   KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.
   "I know Liam... I just didn't think this would be what it came to," The green haired man chuckled softly, shaking.
   KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.
   "It will be alright Ben, I'll see you there okay?" The blonde reassured. Clutching the other man's hand and reaching for something with the other.
   KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.
   "Okay... I'll see you then," The green haired man managed to choke his words out as tears threatened to spill over.
   BANG. BANG.
   Two fatal gunshots.
   SLAM.
   A group of people knocked the door down, horrified to see the limp bodies of their friends on the concrete floor of this isolated room. They were too late.
   Silence.