CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHT

Vál and the rest watched as the boat sailed further away from the shoreline

Vál and the rest watched as the boat sailed further away from the shoreline. Yet a lump was still present in the young shield maidens body. She wasn't sure if it had been fixed yet she knew nothing would be the safe after they had slaughtered their own kind. She wasn't sure how everyone would react now Lagertha was gone and the clouds that still hovered above them made her uneasy. Nothing from the gods had given her some comfort. Björn still stood in the water, his eyes glued on the boat.

The sound of leather being squeezed together was faintly heard as Ivar moved, he rubbed his clad hands together as he clenched his jaw. His ocean blue eyes was also glued on the boat, yet more on the blonde hair that was blowing in the wind. Anger built in his body as his revenge was slipping from his grip. He knew where it came from, Vál's actions yet he couldn't help but to feel a growing amount of raging anger in his body. Hvitserk and Harald had gotten off his chariot, watching as well.

"Give me your bow." Ivar said in a low and dangerous tone without looking at his bodyguard beside him. Soon a wooden bow was placed in his hand and an arrow. Ivar stood up without anyone noticing his movements, being to engulfed with the ship, too shocked that Lagertha and the strong shield maiden had only left with the tail between her legs. It was a very surreal. Ivar aimed at the blonde mop of hair that blew in the wind, an evil smirk spread across his lips before he released the arrow. The blonde hair got out of sight as Lagertha fell forward due to the impact and loud shouts was being heard.

"IVAR!" Björn turned around with a brutal anger in his eyes. Vál looked at Ivar with disappointment yet an understanding look in her eyes however she felt betrayed. Ubbe and Heahmund ran to attack him yet Harald, Hvitserk and their warriors pulled out their swords making them stop in the tracks.

"Stop it Ivar." Vál growled scoldingly as she looked at Ivar who only raised his brows at her. "She's gone and she won't come back. Kattegat is yours." She added and the young man only scoffed.

"She's still alive Vál, breathing when my mother is dead." Ivar said and glared at her, both their icy eyes fought for dominance yet neither one budged from the other. "She got away, you let Lagertha get away." He said and venom started to drop from each word, each word had a dangerous tone to it and it had never been like that before. Vál felt her heart starting to beat heavy in her chest when she started to taste the anger, fury and lethal side directed at her from Ivar. She had no idea what it would mean yet she knew that the answer would be presented to her before anyone could leave the shoreline.

"I saved all of your lives!" Vál growled back and her men got ready to interfere if Ivar took it too far. The men from her village was all trained to kill each living threat no matter who it was. They were unbiased, impartial in every matter. The only one in the current situation that couldn't be unbiased was Vál since she was way to emotionally invested in each person present. Vidar, Ulvar, Guthred and their men didn't have a closer relation to anyone else than Vál. Vál was the daughter to their former King. "Don't you dare look at me like that Ivar! I've been the only one to believe in you at times!" She shouted at him yet she was too focused on Ivar to miss that Björn walked faster and faster to Ivar. The youngest son of Ragnar had already reloaded another arrow and shot it towards Björn, letting it graze his shoulder, letting some blood ooze from the wound. He missed on purpose and an evil smirk was present on his lips.