CHAPTER SIXTY-SIX

Her name left his lips repeatedly, in desperation and pleadingly

Her name left his lips repeatedly, in desperation and pleadingly. Vál ignored his shouts as she faced Ulvar who quickly rode over to her. She held out her hand and he grabbed it roughly only to pull her onto the horse. Her blades was on her back and she hugged Ulvar's waist tightly as she looked over her shoulder, looking at Björn. Their eyes met and his blue eye was wide in panic but she only looked ahead, eyes searching for Lagertha.

"Guthred will keep them safe." Ulvar said to her over his shoulder, breath rugged. "Don't worry." He added.

"There!" Vál yelled as Vidar and five other of her assassins rode up to them. She pointed at Lagertha that was in the middle of the battlefield. "Let's end this for good." She mumbled to herself. Ulvar clicked his tongue and the horse galloped faster so did the other horsemen.

Ivar stood on the hill with his men, watching the scene below him and soon noticed how the archers from Lagertha's army aimed up the hill. Ivar only laughed as they released the arrows, letting hundreds of arrows rain over him yet he only held his arms wide open. His body guards holding their shields for him, the two that could've hit him yet Ivar's eyes didn't flinch once. His eyes soon met Harald's who quickly looked away at the six horseman with Vál quickly got close to Lagertha. Ivar's eyes followed the familiar mop of platinum hair. He clenched his jaw as his fingers started to fiddle with the throwing knifes in his hands. Fire ignite itself in his pale blue eyes when Lagertha was within reach, a smirk was wide across his pink lips.

Heahmund yelled loudly as he ran towards Lagertha, he called for Björn and Ubbe who's eyes widened when they saw how the leather clad black stallions surrounded Lagertha, making her disappear. A loud scream was heard and Björn picked up his pace, jumping over dead and injured bodies and barely dodging the arrows that was sent his way. Four other horseman from the North ran over with black shields on their backs and created a shield wall for Vál and their men.

"Mother!" Björn screamed yet he couldn't hear an answer.

"Protect the Queen!" Ubbe yelled loudly and the archers stopped aiming for Ivar and shot arrows at the northern army. Two men around Lagertha answered the attack with arrows, as Lagertha's limp body was tied securely over Vidar's horse. Blood oozed from a hit on her forehead.

"Mother!" Björn yelled again. "Vál! Don't do it!" He screamed but she couldn't hear it. The loving sound of him expressing his love for her was overpowering. Guthred who had three men following Björn, Heahmund and Ubbe soon reached the younger son of Ragnar only to tackle him to the ground. Ubbe groaned before trying to get out of Guthred's embrace yet the older man was to stronger and heavier.

"Stop it little man, Vál tries to save you!" Guthred groaned before punching Ubbe in the face, making his nose bleed and another groan left Ubbe's dry throat.

"Hey!" Guthred yelled again as he gripped Ubbe's shoulders. "Hey! Listen to me, she tries to save you!" He yelled into Ubbe's face as the young son looked over his shoulder, feeling dizzy from the hit. Watching as Björn and Heahmund failed to reach the group of Northern assassins before they rode quickly towards the forest. Lagertha nowhere to be seen.