CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

The mead was filling everyones cup around the table in the hunting cabin

The mead was filling everyones cup around the table in the hunting cabin. All the brothers were gathered with Vál and Margrethe. Vál smiled when she saw the pleased and proud look on Ubbes face. She poured some more mead down her throat before looking at Björn with a smile on her face. Vál continued to pour down mead down her throat when they guys started their talk about consummating their wedding. She just shook her head with a smile on her face when everyone started to cheer and holler. Björn placed a hand around her waist, squeezing it gently and gave her a wink.

When everyone had gotten to much mead in the system Vál excused herself from the cabin and so did Björn which caused the others to holler yet they were ignored. They walked back to Kattegat yet stopped a few times on the way to press each other up against the trees to kiss. Vál gripped Björn's shirt, pulling him with her against a tree. A giggle left her lips as she kissed him, his hands gripping her waist. Their tongues dancing together, tasting each other. In the heat of the moment she lifted one of her thighs to wrap it around his waist which made him chuckle.

"Can't get enough of me?" Björn teased and she slapped his arms as she pulled away. Bot of them giggled as they continued to walk back. Neither one of they had been drinking too much mead and the fresh air sharpened Vál's senses as they got back to the village. Vál let her eyes roam round the village and they stopped at Egil who was talking with Harald and Halfdan by the docks. All the facing Kattegat, pointing discreetly around the larger village and she frowned.

"I need to talk with Floki to see if everyone fits on the boats." Björn said and she nodded with her eyes glued on the three men who started to walk towards the higher towers protecting Kattegat. When Björn had walked away she followed the three men as they walked up the towers. She stopped on the first step as soon as she heard their voices.

"I think I got enough to manage something on my own." The almost unfamiliar voice of Egil filled her ears.

"Good." Harald said and she licked her lips.

"We count on you getting this through." Halfdan said and she frowned before leaving. She knew she wouldn't get anything out of the two brothers yet Egil was a fresh face that needed some lessons. She knew she had to do something fast.

"Amanda!" Vál shouted when the familiar woman walked passed.

"Vál." The young woman greeted her with a smile. Amanda put away her sword, just finished some training with the other shield maidens.

"Can I ask you a question?" Vál asked Amanda who nodded. "You see that man Harald and his brother is talking to, Egil. What do you know about him?" She continued and Amanda shrugged her shoulders.

"Nothing much I'm afraid. Only that they seem rather interested in him, why I don't know." Amanda said and Vál sucked her teeth before patting Amanda on the shoulder.

"You're not close with Harald at all now?" Vál asked, clinging to a small string of hope.

"No, I told you that already. I got my man now and it's not the King." Amanda said and gave Vál a crooked smile. "In his eyes I'm just another shield maiden but in the others eyes I'm a shield maiden who slept with her commander and King." She added with a sigh and Vál frowned at her.