CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE

The tension had increased in the main tent

The tension had increased in the main tent. Björn only glared at Ivar with more than one emotion present on his face. He tried to tell himself that Ivar was just fooling around, pushing his greatest weakness. Björn knew it would take a lot to kill Vál Thyrsdottír however he saw the arrows. They could've hit badly and she could've bled to death. It could've been true since he knew Vál wouldn't do that to him, yet he had broken her heart when he married snaefrid. He had seen the emotions in her eyes when she had spoken about it, how her voice had cracked as her heart had broken in her chest. The loud crack straight through her heart had almost been audible. He had seen her cry, the strongest woman he knew had cried before him and he knew she wouldn't, couldn't, if it wasn't for real.

Björn turned his head to look at the other and everyone avoided his eyes which made his heart beat heavily in his chest. It felt as if someone held a tight grip of his head, squeezing the hard working muscle, making it impossible for it to beat, to spread the icy blood through his veins.

"What are you saying?" Björn asked, forcing out the words to sound as unfazed as possible.

"Vál is dead." Ivar said as he stared at the ground, jaw clenching. "The only one who's supported me and saved me." He added, pushing all his sentimental buttons.

"How—" Björn had nearly time to question before Ivar quickly glared at him. Venom oozing out from his eyes, slowly creeping closer to Björn before suffocating him as it strangled his body.

"It's your fault!" Ivar said as he slammed his fist onto the table loudly, making them jump in the chairs. "Vál loved you and when she heard that you had gotten married to someone else you fúcked up her mind completely. She made mistakes she has told me and my brothers not to do; to die stupidly." He continued and blamed his oldest half brother.

"You broke your promise to her." Hvitserk said before gulping. Björn only looked at him, clenching his jaw.

"She has broken more promises to me than I ever did to her." Björn spat angrily and Harald glared at him with anger in his eyes.

"Yet you did the same to her and you chained her up for it." Harald growled back. "There's no excuse in doing the same to someone when you know the pain you will go through!" He added. The tension in the room was almost too much, Björn started quickly to regret him even bothering to speak about peace yet he wanted to come and speak to them so he could look after Vál and might even had the chance to speak to her. His heart was aching painfully in his chest when images of Vál flashed before his eyes. How she laughed, how she smiled at him and those delicate words had left her mouth.

"I hope this isn't the last time I speak to you. I will do everything to protect you Björn."

" I will always love you Björn. Nothing could ever change that."

"Vál declined my offer to become my wife since she didn't want to break the promise she had given you. She didn't want to hurt you again." Harald said as he looked Björn in the eyes. "I even think she was pregnant." He added and Björn's eyes widen slightly, is black pupils decreasing in size.