CHAPTER SIXTY

Björn returned to Kattegat with his army, following his mother

Björn returned to Kattegat with his army, following his mother. One of Ivar's warriors, a bishop had been captured. He had been found lifeless on the battlefield with several injuries and much to Björn's surprise his mother had spared his life and demanded the healers to do everything in their power to help him. Despite the cheerful outcome of the battle, their victorious battle against Ivar's forces many questions filled the commanders minds. He embraced his wife as quickly as he saw her, pushing her head closer to his chest as he exhaled in relief when Vál's words rung loudly in his ears.

"I hope you have you wife in a safe spot Björn! You never know what lurks around here at a time like this."

Björn hugged Snaefrid closer as he saw Svase walking over to them. He pulled away and placed a soft kiss on his wife's forehead and she smiled at him. Images of Vál smiling at him flashed before his eyes and his heart fluttered by the sight. The look of imaginary Vál made his smile widen slightly without anyone else knowing why. However his smile faltered when he saw Svase's deep frown, the angry and almost defeated expression on his expression present on his face.

"Seven of our men are dead. Executed in the forest according to my warriors." Svase said with a deep breath before clenching his jaw tightly. "And to top it off I've gotten some worrisome news." He continued and Lagertha frowned as did her other commanders who listened to him.

"What news?" Lagertha asked with her frown still present on her face.

"I didn't know Ivar had the mountain people on their side?" Svase said and everyone frowned.

"Are they here?" Snaefrid asked as her back stood close to Björn's front, his hand resting upon her waist. "Like Vál Thyrsdottír?" She asked and everyone looked at her with raised brows.

"You know her?" Björn asked with wide eyes.

"Yes, their people have been slaughtering our kind for years." Snaefrid said and the others listened carefully.

"They want the mountains for themselves." Svase said in a stern and cold tone. Björn frowned as did the others yet neither one said anything. "Yes, Vál is with them. Thyr's daughter, the girl who survived alone in the mountains." He continued as he looked back at Lagertha.

"Is that a problem for you?" Ubbe questioned with his wife Margrethe beside him yet he didn't bother to acknowledge her presence. "I thought you were untouchable in the forest." He added and Svase looked at the young man as did Snaefrid with a snobby expression on her face, her head tilted back slightly, nose up high.

"We are." Svase said and sucked in a sharp breath.

"But?" Halfdan questioned quickly with a raised brow. Svase let out a deep breath as he looked at the blond haired man.

"They're better warriors than us. They know how we fight and where." Svase said and Snaefrid placed her hand over Björn's hand on her waist, squeezing it yet he remained ignorant of the simple gesture of comfort. "They've survived for such a long time even if Haraldsson attacked them, it's like impossible to kill them all. Always one will survive and as long as it remains that way they will conquer." He continued.