CHAPTER SEVEN

Vál sat there patiently as she could as almost every living soul in Kattegat had walked behind the cabins

Vál sat there patiently as she could as almost every living soul in Kattegat had walked behind the cabins. She didn't bother to look since her chains would only let her go that far. To let time pass she observed the chains and the cuffs to see if there was a way to get out. A sigh left her lips when she needed a key to get free. She looked over to the stall, relaxing when she had Thyr standing there calmly as he ate.

After a while the people walked back, talking and whispering before getting back to their lives. Vál looked around before her eyes landed on a familiar bald head. Ragnar walked into her view with his sons who looked anything but pleased but their fathers presence. Her eyes were wide when she realized that Ragnar had returned to Kattegat as well. Soon Ragnars eyes met hers and he raised his brows before glaring at his firstborn. Björn kept a natural expression on his face as he met his fathers eyes.

"Why is Vál chained to the ground like a dog?" Ragnar said as he clenched his jaw. Ragnar had already figured his presence wasn't welcome and his sons might to listen to him.

"She's our prisoner." Björn said simply as his brothers stood behind him. Neither one could imagined that their father was back, living and breathing.

"Prisoner?" Ragnar repeated, couldn't believe what his son was telling him.

"Held for trying to steal a horse, treason and conspiracy to kill us." Björn said as she crossed his arms over his chest. Ragnar clenched his jaw and stepped closer to his son, his lips close to his sons ear.

"That's the most idiotic thing I've heard. Decisions likes this only shows how much you still have to learn." Ragnar said sternly before walking over to Vál. Björn clenched his jaw and looked defeatedly at the ground before slowly following his father yet standing behind him.

"Vál, I didn't imagined I would've seen you here." Ragnar said and smiled faintly. Vál got up from the ground and took a step forwards as she smiled.

"Ragnar, I'm glad to see you alive and well." Vál said and Ragnar gave her a nod.

"If it weren't for you I wouldn't be here." He answered and she gave him nod.

"Always a pleasure to serve you Ragnar." She said and Ragnar smiled. The sons all realized that she hadn't been lying knowing their father and Vál had met before she arrived in Kattegat.

"My son told me you apparently conspired to kill them?" Ragnar said, just saying it out loud himself made him feel the intelligence to drop. He knew that even if she left she cared for all his sons and would never physically hurt neither one of them even if someone threatened to kill her if disobeying. "I find that unbelievable." He continued and she nodded.

"I had returned and walked around one night when I wanted to see if they could solve my clue. Five arrows with their names on one of the pillars." She said and Ragnar smiled. Björn clenched his jaw before walking away, his brothers looked at their father and Vál before walking towards the great hall. Ragnar walked closer to her and sat down on the ground in front of her. She mimicked his motions.