Blood Lines

...

'He dragged her down with bloodstained hands.'

...

Hadrian's eyes seemed to ignite, swirling almost possessively when hearing the old man's name. Alec tried to think if he had heard the name before. If it was a pureblood name, he would've known straight away. Alec had been raised that way. His childhood had been structured, framed by blood purity and lessons of high society.

Alec's father's, Vesper Morti, was a cruel man. Alec stood against everything his father stood for, what he believed in. Vesper Morti condemned everyone not born of pureblood. Of course, the man wasn't stupid, he didn't go around slandering and cursing those who were not of superior blood - most of the Ministry were made up of half bloods.

Alec had introduced Hadrian to his father once. It was after their third at Hogwarts and they had just got off the train. The encounter had completely come down to chance, Alec's father had never come to pick him up from the station, it had always been his Aunt. However, on this occasion, Vesper Morti, was waiting callously at the back of the platform.

Somehow, the introduction went better than anticipated. Alec had suspected that his father had noticed a deadly twinkle within the Potter heir's green gaze. A ghost of wickedness, a hint of venom. Of course, Alec hadn't suspected anything less, Hadrian always seemed to persevere. When it came to mudblo.....muggle-borns, however, Vesper Morti could be considered inhumane.

"Hadrian Potter," the old man grovelled out.

He was hunched over as if it was cold, it wasn't, in fact the fireplace crackled gleefully in the corner. Alec frowned, he wasn't sure why they even needed the fire, the summer heat despite the time of night still lingered. The man's stature, was of course, a result of old age. Hadrian's severe gaze narrowed suspiciously, doubt causing shadows to slither upon his angled face. Looking closer, Hadrian found the old man's keen gaze. It was too sharp, too agile.

"Mr Gaunt." Hadrian replied, remaining guarded.

Hadrian pulled out a chair and dragged it across the cool stone, gracefully lowering himself down into it. As if sensing Hadrian's suspicions, Alec pulled out the chair that sat to Hadrian's right. He folded himself into it, his body straight and tense - the manoeuvre was an obvious power move.

"The very moment you are underestimated, you make a quantum advance," Hadrian pronounced cryptically.

Hadrian didn't look at the old man, his gaze found Rose, who remained behind the bar. She was staring, compulsively. Hadrian's comment made the elder Gaunt freeze. Hadrian ignored the old man, acting as if nothing had happened, his gaze remained on Rose.

Rose wasn't stupid, she was pragmatic enough to know this wasn't about her. It looked like Hadrian was making a point. Apparently he wasn't going to speak until he was met with a response. Rose thought it amusing how he did not even dignify the old man with his attention. Rose knew from personal experience, how cunning Hadrian could be. Everything about Hadrian was entirely pre-eminent. He was totally male, and not just because of his appearance. There was an underlying dominance within the very soul of Hadrian Potter that could not be ignored. You smelt it as he walked into a room, like prey and predator, his very presence was pronounced in potency. Hadrian knew the old man was hiding something, so he waited. Only a few moments later, the old man started to cackle.