Chapter 21

Tom began going out a lot, I knew it was for work but I also knew there had to be some extra stuff going on. While he's gone I busy myself by caring for Raven and Scarlett. The first morning Tom left, that old witch Ms. Cole or as I call her "the troll," barged into the room not even bothering to knock. She barked at me to get up and not to think I would be freeloading, she has me working in the kitchen serving the little brats. They all stare at me as if I'm a goblin or something, and I hear the whispers of the older girls calling me a trollop or other things of that nature. While I didn't come here to make friends or anything it's still frustrating. None of it bothers me as much as the fact that they try to touch my children does. I keep the babies in a playpen in the kitchen as I cook for the orphanage. There's a big oaf they call Rudolfo that works in the kitchen aswell, he doesn't talk much but when he does it's usually rude. To top things off, after I slave away in the kitchen I have to clean up after all the children while the troll sits on her lazy arse. It's like I'm the new official caretaker of this place. A few other women work here but they care for the little ones, or tend to the rooms, and conduct room checks and things like that. I do everything from the cleaning of the kitchen,
to cooking, and other things of that sort. It would seem that it is me that has been given the shaft.

    I hissed in pain as I accidentally burnt my hand on the hot pot of sauce I was mixing. "Burn yourself dear?" I heard from behind me. I turned to see the dull brown eyes and yellow teeth of the troll. "It's no big deal," I mumbled, turning away from her. "Didn't I tell you to clean the restrooms on the second floor?" She hissed into my ear so the children nearby wouldn't hear. "I will not have you sitting around all day, if I were you I'd hop to it missy," I sighed as she finished screeching her demand. "I'll get to it, I haven't even finished dinner," I said frustrated as I ripped off my apron tossing it into a bin. I just want to hex this lady into oblivion, it began to occur to me that I hadn't given that much thought; though I should. "Don't get sassy with me young lady, if it weren't for my pity for your children you'd all be sleeping under the bridge tonight," She sneered, stepping a little too close for comfort. I couldn't hold it in anymore. "None of the other children lift a damn finger around here, and come to think of it neither do you. I do everything here and I don't even make a dime, so call me crazy but I think I got the short end of the stick here." I glared at the old bafoon misserable as all hell with the work load I was given. She looked taken back by my outburst but I kept my glare focused on her. "I suggest you carry on with your chores unless you think you'll find the accommodations better under the bridge a block over!" The troll said through her grinding teeth. "Of course," I fake smiled after a moment's contemplation, turning back towards the pot. "That's what I thought," she said smugly before stalking off in the direction of her office. Seeing that she had seemingly disappeared behind her jagged office doors, I wiped my hands on a dish towel before sneaking to check on the twins.

I can't take this much longer! It's only been a week and I am trembling with trapped anger. Tears of frustration fell upon my cheeks as I thought about all that is going on at this point. Tom is barely here anymore, and I have to deal with all this craziness. The babies were awake so I decided to take a much needed brake. Scooping up Raven and Scarlett in my arms I rushed to my room before the troll could take notice to me. I exhaled as I laid on the bed with my beautiful offspring. They were always so calm and so happy, even if they were just a couple weeks old. Just the day before the troll was spewing some nonsense at me about how to care for my baby's "properly" but something she said caught my attention. She mentioned that she was the one that primarily looked after Tom as a baby. Apparently he never cried which she thought was very strange. It got me wondering about my baby's. They cry, but not as much as they should or at least that's what I think. Maybe I'm just being foolish but something has me thinking that being the products a two cursed parents may have an effect on them. All of this is so unnatural, but I have to believe that they are okay. At least I hope they are.

   I Don't know how to better my life at this point, I can't work or do anything but act as a slave here and depend on Tom. I sighed once more as I have been doing alot lately. I got back on my feet moving to the window that was blurred with raindrops. The window was cold to the touch as I dragged my fingers along the frame. Resting my forehead against the ice cold window I squinted my eyes shut wishing that I was anywhere but here. The killer thing is that I have the power to do so, but it's out of my hands. Tom says he's going to make a life for us but it couldn't come too soon. I have no choice but to stick around here and heed demands and lectures until something gives. At the end of the day I'm in this for the kids and the nagging part of my heart that yearns for Tom's admiration. As foolish as it may sound to some...I just want to be the best at what I am; a wife and a mother. My eyes snapped open and settled on a desk drawer that sat ajar and out of place. Nothing was ever out of place in our living quarters, it's a problem I have. I can't stand anything messy or settled wrong. Stepping back from the window I moved to slide it shut feeling it snag on something. I furrowed my brows as I wrestled with the drawer for a few seconds trying to unjam it. A grumble of annoyance emitted from my lips as I pulled it open slipping my hand inside to try to find the snag. My hands wrapped around a stack of papers that had been jammed in the back of the desk drawer. Back and forth I wedged them out of their confinement until I had the wrinkled envelope in my hands. Curiosity flooded my mind as I open it up and reached inside pulling out the papers. It was an invitation of interest to hire Tom at the ministry of magic. Tom said he didn't have any offers, he lied to me! As if things weren't bad enough my husband lies about something that could change our lives. He was trying to hide this from me. Why would he do that? Tom is definitely up to no good, of course he is. He's Tom Riddle for crying out loud, but he's also my husband and the father of my kids. I'm going to get to the bottom of this.

When he got home that night I laid it all on the table. "What is going on?" Tom asked curiously as he took notice of my annoyed expression. Tossing the papers on the bed in-front of him I folded my arms waiting for his pointless excuse. Tom got here late with no explanation again and I began to wonder exactly how much more of this I can take . "You found a letter," He stated playing it off as nothing, folding it up and sticking it in his jacket pocket. "You lied to me," I stated trying to contain my anger. Here I am slaving away here so we have a place to stay while he obviously isn't putting forth his best efforts to provide for his family. "Did I?" He mocked as he crossed his arms looking at me with a stoic look. This made me angry, he always had to speak in riddles. "Don't play with me Tom you know what I mean. You had the opportunity to work for the ministry and actually make some money, and yet you waste your talents selling ancient evil gadgets! Oh and don't think I didn't notice your collection of them in the closet." I couldn't hold it in anymore it was all falling down on me at once. "None of this concerns you, I am doing what needs to be done. All I ask of you is to take care of the children while I work, is that too much to ask?" He spoke sternly. "This concerns me in every way Tom. You go out and play with dark toys all day while I stay here and cook and clean for this place so we don't end up on the streets, which is what's going to happen if you don't get it in gear." He looked very annoyed at this point but this needs to be said. "I work all day for free in order for us to live here. I work so much harder and I get a absolutely no credit for it." None of this is fair to me and he doesn't even realize it. "So you don't think I work hard? You're the one that pushed us coming to live here!" Tom said raising his voice a little. "What other choice did we have Tom? I don't care where we are as long as you're making an effort to get us to better places." It was a full out argument at this point except much quieter in order to not wake the twins. "I'm making money whilst working for our future at this job, something I couldn't do anywhere else and as for working for the ministry they would have all eyes on me at all times. There's no way I could work there and proceed with my plans in the least, now just end this." He sneered annoyed. "I don't see how you are doing anything for us by working at that thrift shop for dark toys. I had faith in you and now I can't even look at you." I had tears in my eyes as I ran out of the room. I'm passed upset, and I have to get out of here before I lose it.

—————-
Question: should I start putting in gifs again? Do you guys like that? I like the element that it adds but it's a little time consuming to go through the entire chapter again and find gifs that make sense, but if you guys like it I'll keep doing it. Let me know....NOW ONTO THE NEXT CHAPTER. Tomlyn for the win y'all.