Chapter 20

I had to ^^^ please comment your emoji reactions. I'm dying to see them.
New updating schedule! Monday and Fridays, but I'm never opposed to surprise updates on any other day! Enjoy!
————
     I awoke to Tom softly shaking me awake. "We've arrived," he said softly as to not wake the children who were still asleep surprisingly. I began to remember the idiocy of my husband but chose to refrain from a fight for now. We were soon riding in a taxi that would take us finally to the orphanage. I could tell Tom was on edge so I took his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze as to reassure him somehow that it would be okay. The grimace on his face was ever present as we made the journey to the wretched place.

As we pulled in front of the huge building behind the tall gates I swallowed hard, so anxious for what's to come. We unloaded our things as we joined hands with a baby carrier in each of our free hands. The taxi drove off as we stared at the building in front of us. We finally looked to each other perhaps for support or at least to know we weren't alone. "This is only the beginning," he said as he led me inside through the tall gates and to the huge building. The door creaked loudly as it swung open allowing us entrance to the eerie building. We slowly entered coming across a desk with a strict looking woman in glasses and a long black frock sitting behind it. "Well well well." She spoke tantalizingly as she saw us. "We send you off to school and you come back with a family," She laughed malevolently. "So a girl let you knock her up huh?" She said getting up to peer into the carriers with the sleeping babies. "I assume you got my letter miss," I interjected having enough with her rude comments. "Ah yes you commit a mortal sin and come looking for help, unfortunately we have no room." She said walking back behind her desk.

   "Excuse me?" I asked appalled at the fact that she'd put us on the streets. "You heard me, the orphanage isn't equipped to take on families." Tom stayed quiet but I knew it was so he didn't flip out and murder the miserable old cow. "We are still minors, by law you have to accept us," I stated truthfully. "Yes a privilege you forfeited by getting married. Mrs.Riddle." She spat. "We can all stay in my room I know it is empty," Tom spoke finally. "Listen here Mr.Riddle you have caused far enough trouble here. For years I waited for the opportunity to kick your ungrateful hide to the curb. Now that you've gone and done this I have no choice but to bid you a goodbye," She said picking up a magazine from her desk. I raised my brows and let out a laugh of amusement. "Okay this has gone far enough Miss Cole we have no where to go, and for someone who has sworn to help children it sure tells a lot about you for the fact that you would put us and two newborns out on the streets. I suggest you stop trying to find a reason to push Tom out or you will regret it." I spoke glaring at her. "Is that a threat?" She asked with an evil grin. "It's whatever you want to to be." I sneered. "We are all minors who are eligible to live in this establishment,and I will not hesitate to write a strongly worded letter to your superiors about your vendetta towards an orphan named Tom Riddle." I said scowling the miserable old battle axe. She looked me up and down and then turned away as if she was thinking something through very pensively. Her beady eyes finally settled on the baby carriers we had set on the floor. It made me uncomfortable with how intense her fowl gaze was on my kids. "Look at that, I do believe we may have room available after all," she said standing up once more. I cannot believe that just worked, I thought as she handed me the key to the room. However, in the back of my mind I can't help but believe that she had alternative motives, but at this point I couldn't seem to care less. We just need a place to stay, and I'll fight for it. "You know the way Tom," She said with a smile however, there was just something about her grin that put me off. I shook it off at I looked up at Tom's proud smirk. She's just odd.

  We walked off toward the stair case. "Hold on just a second," The lady called from the desk. I turned and walked back over to her curiously. "I just need you sign these papers." I began to examine the tiny print. "What are these for exactly?" I asked concerned. "Since you are releasing yourselves into our care we just need your signatures." She said with a fake sweet smile. I hesitated a little but her words made sense. Tom and I signed them before we were finally able to make our way up to the room.