Chapter 12; The Worst Timing

Feels warning

Sorry in advance for what I'm about to do :/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You slowly gazed up at the loud skeleton, confusion and annoyance taking over.

You glanced at Mettaton standing beside Papyrus, wondering just what they were doing here. 

"Uh hey, Paps. Hey Mettaton. What are you guys doing here?"

Papyrus' cheeks turned a bit pink, but his response was as loud and confident as always.

"WELL HUMAN! WE ARE ON OUR VERY ROMANTIC DATE!"

You nodded, not really getting the answer you wanted.

"That's great Paps, I mean what is it you guys need?" You motioned between yourself and Grillby. "Because we're also on a date."

Mettaton's hand flew to his mouth a loud, exaggerated gasp leaping from his mouth.

"~OH DEARY, WE'RE SO SORRY TO INTRUDE, IT WAS JUST THAT YOU SEEMED ALL RILED UP OVER HERE.~"

You suddenly remembered your fury driven yelling session with Grillby and gave him a scrutinizing glance as he flinched.

"Oh. Yes. That."

Papyrus worriedly caught your eye and frowned a bit.

"HUMAN, WHAT'S WRONG?"

You sighed a bit as your remembered jealousy and anger began to subside.

"It's nothing really, I'm sorry to have worried you away from your romantic evening. It must be very disappointing to have some quality time wasted by someone else who has nothing to do with your romantic evening." You say, more as a not subtle stab at Grillby than a real apology.

Mettaton fixed Grillby with a look, seemingly picking up on your hints. Papyrus, on the other hand, was as blatantly oblivious as always.

"NO WORRIES DEAR FRIEND! YOUR HAPPINESS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US!"

Mettaton slowly nodded his head at you in agreement, his suspicious gaze unwavering from Grillby's uncomfortable stature.

"~YES (Y/N), YOU'RE VERY IMPORTANT TO ALL OF US. GRILLBY?~"

Your embarrassed date slowly lifted his head and met Mettaton's eyes in acknowledgment.

"~MIND STEPPING OUT WITH ME FOR A MOMENT?~"

He opened his mouth for a second, perhaps to make an excuse, but promptly shut it and stood, following Mettaton to a table out of earshot.

Papyrus looked at you and smiled as if this was nothing unusual.

And I mean, who knows.

For all you know, this really could be Mettaton's normal routine.

You weakly returned Papyrus' smile as he sat across the table from you, entering the empty seat.

"NOW HUMAN, I KNOW THAT GRILLBY HAS GIVEN LAPIN SOME INTERESTING LOOKS, BUT I KNOW THAT HE LOVES YOU, I CAN SEE IT IN HIS SOUL. I'M SURE HE HAS A GOOD REASON FOR HIS ACTIONS."

Papyrus laid a large gloved hand over your own as you choked back a sob. Were you really this quick to anger? You made the observation that the waitress was pretty first, and who's to say that that was the reason why he stared? 

Your heart sunk as you reasoned it all out mentally.

Finally, you realized that you had stayed quiet for quite a while when Papyrus cleared his throat to get your attention. 

"A-ah, sorry Papyrus. I guess I was too quick to judge... I feel like I really ruined this date that really didn't start out like a date at all."

You chuckled a bit at the irony.

"I mean, who brings their kid out on a date huh?"

Papyrus stared back at you, blankly.

"WHO?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fuku.

Your heart was going a mile a minute.

The second you realized Fuku wasn't beside Papyrus you panicked, asking him to check the left side of the restaurant for a green fire elemental while you checked the right side.

It didn't take long for Grillby to realize what was going on, finally getting away from Mettaton's lecturing on what was and wasn't okay on a date. His eyes met your frantic ones and he quickly got the idea, adrenaline pulsing through his fire-y veins as he searched the entire diner for Fuku.

You began to hyperventilate, a side effect of the stress and extreme anxiety you had suddenly acquired.

Grillby noticed your panicked state, and despite his own not being much better, he held you in a brief hug, calming you and himself down enough to reason things out a bit.

He knew that something must've happened, Fuku was never one to be disobedient and leave without asking. 

Suddenly he realized that he hadn't even tried locating her soul, as his daughter their bond was strong and should tell him all he needed to know about where she was.

He closed his eyes for a moment and focused, using his soul to find Fuku's ever bright and lively one. 

And then it hit him. The weak stuttering of Fuku's soul calling, screaming for help.

He ran with you in tow, not questioning his actions because of the swell of fear and furiousness you could feel radiating off of him.

Grillby darted out of the restaurant with certainty, quickly turning right into an alleyway.

His feet suddenly skidded to a stop, his breath shaking, and his body completely frozen in fear at the scene he had come upon.

Time stopped as you took a step forward beside Grillby, your own body freezing to the spot as you took in the nightmare-ish sight in front of you.

Utter hopelessness and agony screamed in your every cell as your eyes met Fuku's dull green ones, a weak whimper escaping the child's crumpled form.

In the darkness of the alleyway, puddles of bright green lava-like liquid glowed brightly and covered Fuku's destroyed school uniform, as well as the ground and walls around her.

Dozens upon dozens of scrapes and wounds littered her small, broken body, the flames that usually danced so vibrantly on her head minimized to the glow of embers in a dying fire.

Fuku's eyes fluttered for a moment before falling lifelessly to a close.

You still aren't sure whether the scream of agony came from you or Grillby.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry, I knew that I'd make this happen eventually, please forgive me. :/

Sidenote: She's not dead. She's too cute to die. Besides, I have a thing against killing off cinnamon rolls in my stories.