Chapter 13:

Camila was sat by where the fire had been and looked up at me with a puzzled expression. "Where did Jess go?"

I made my way over to her and tucked a lose strand of hair behind my ear. "I don't know. Wherever she wanted to, I guess."

She nodded lightly as she took in my words and ran her fingers through her hair. "What were you doing in there?"

"She just told me that she was leaving and then we just kind of sat together." I let her know, shrugging my shoulders slightly.

Silence fell over us again like it had many times tonight before the woman beside me let out a yawn. "Shall we go to bed?"

-

I woke up to the sound of leaves crunching beneath feet. At first, I thought I might have just been dreaming but then I heard it again and sat up – disturbing Camila who had her head on my chest.

"What's wrong?" She husked and rubbed at her eyes.

"I heard something." I whispered and kept my eyes on the tent in case any silhouettes caught my eye.

Camila was now also on full alert, sitting up like I was. When the sound appeared to be getting closer, she grabbed her pen knife. She was unzipping the tent door when I pulled her back by her arm; I must have misjudged my own strength because Camila completely lost her balance and fell on top of me.

"God, I'm sorry." I put my arms on her waist, ready to lift her off but she stayed like that for a moment just looking at me. I took in how close she was and subconsciously licked at my lips. I'd never been this close to Camila before; she really was beautiful – her plump, coral lips and dark eyes. I wanted to just rid the sexual tension between us by planting a soft kiss on her lips but there was another crunch of leaves and then a loud, inhumane groan.

Both our eyes widened and Camila rolled herself off me and went for the door again. I couldn't stop her this time as she plummeted out into the open area. I heard her grunt along with a crunching sound which made me scrunch up my nose in disgust.

"Oh God," Camila breathed. "Lauren! Little problem here!"

I grabbed my weapon bag and dived out the zippy door to stand next to Camila. I looked at the dead walker on the floor before lifting my gaze to Camila, who was staring at something. I followed her line of view and saw at least twenty walkers making their way down here.

"Shit!" I cursed and dived back into the tent, grabbing my backpack that had food supplies and other necessities in. Climbing out again, I looked over at the herd which was definitely getting closer. Camila was now rummaging through the tent for her things when my gaze fell upon Jess' empty tent.

"Come on, Lo!" Camila called as she started to jog over to the car. The herd were tripping over Jess' tent now and that snapped me back to reality – realising just how close they were. I shot at one and watched the bullet go into its head before I ran over to the car.

"Did you see that?" I asked as I buckled up.

"See what?" Camila switched the engine on and started to reverse.

"The headshot!" I announced proudly as Camila rolled her eyes.

-

We'd driven past at least another twenty walkers since our drive started fifteen minutes ago, which was definitely unusual.

"Where are they all coming from?" Camila complained as she dropped her shoulders. She was peering her petite head over the fairly large steering wheel to get a better view of what was in front of us; which was a small group of walkers similar to the ones we had past only a few seconds ago.

"Maybe they found an animal or something." I tried to make sense of the situation.

"What animal would still be alive three months after the apocalypse?"

"I don't know – a deer or something." I shrugged and stared at the dead as we drove through them.

The two of us tried to ignore the presence but our attention was brought back to it when we spotted a church through the trees in the woods.

"There." Camila announced and pointed out my window. There stood a tall white church, growing mould. Its bell was still functioning though which had drawn a large crowd of walkers. "They're drawn to it."

Right on cue, our car started to slow down. "Why are you stopping?" I asked because it wasn't necessarily the best time to park the car.

"I'm not." Camila was staring at the 'low fuel' sign on the dashboard of the car and consistently turning to the key in hopes of giving the car some kind of boost.

The repeated sound of empty engine growling every time Camila tried to start it was taking the walkers attention away from the bell, and towards us.

-

A/N: hello guys!!

sorry this is a day late, I completely forgot to update yesterday because I was watching the royal wedding lol.

i haven't been able to proofread this chapter because i have a super busy day but I hope you guys enjoy it!!

what do you make of jess leaving? what do you think of the girls being stranded? give me feedback!!

see u guys next week.

- fay.