Chapter 2:

"I take it you're from Miami." The passenger asked from next to me after we'd managed to sit in silence for ten minutes.

"Can we not play the question game?"

"I'm just trying to find out who I'm going to be spending time with."

"Well, you're going to be spending time with me." I responded, giving her a tight smile before focusing on the empty road again. "Are we done now?"

She replied by sighing and getting herself more comfortable. "Where did you go to school?"

I clenched my jaw and closed my eyes at the sound of her voice which was already frustrating me. "Edison."

"No way! I went to Jackson." The brunette beamed, leaning forward and putting her hand to her chest. I felt my lips starting to curl into a smile but I consciously stopped it from growing any wider. "So are you a senior?"

"I'm 21, actually."

"Oh. I'm 20."

I nodded to show acknowledgement of her response and she finally got the hint that I wasn't in the mood for talking.

"Since I don't know your name and I have a feeling you're not going to tell me it, I'm going to start calling you Edison. You can call me Jackson." Jackson suggested, looking over at me.

"Deal."

-

"Jackson." I put my hand on the girl's leg and shook it gently in hope of waking her up. I'd been driving for almost nine hours and it was dark now. Luckily, I'd found a subtle motel in the woods where we could hopefully stay the night before hitting the road again in the morning.

Jackson started to stir as she slowly woke, glancing out the window as she did. "How long was I asleep for?"

"About three hours." I laughed, undoing my seatbelt as I went to get out the car. "I've been driving for nine hours. I've found a place for us to spend the night." I nodded in the direction of the motel ahead of us. Jackson shrugged before stepping out as I made my way to the trunk to get my stuff.

We split up so that we could check all of the rooms and even searched a decent amount of mileage of the woods just to be sure that we were safe. I carelessly chose a room at random and threw my belongings onto the bed and was confused when Jackson put her stuff next to the door. "What're you doing?"

She looked up at me, completely baffled. "What do you mean?"

"You're staying next door."

Jackson looked in the direction that I had gestured to before releasing a laugh. "No, I'm not. Do you really expect me to sleep alone in some random motel?"

"You've been on your own for three months! What difference does this make?" I asked, unzipping my bag.

"Well, I have you now." She gave back and I felt my lips part. Eyeing her up and down, I let my shoulders drop.

"I sleep on the right." I mumbled and heard her release a small 'yes!' in victory as she skipped to the other side of the bed.

Another thing I hated about the apocalypse? Not being able to sleep in just a t-shirt and underwear. I found myself sleeping in joggers and leaving my shoes right next to the bed just in case. I must have only been asleep for an hour or so when something went bump in the night.

"Did you hear that?" Jackson abruptly raised the upper half of her body, but I was already sat up with my hand on her revolver which was next to me.

Another creak from outside the door.

Nothing could ever prepare me for coming face-to-face with a walker, despite the fact that I'd killed at least 13 in the past three months – I tried to avoid them as much as possible. I was hoping that the sound coming from outside the door was just a rat or a squirrel, but those creatures don't groan like the one outside the door was. I closed my eyes momentarily before standing up, pulling the revolver and tip-toeing to the door.

"Stay there." I whispered to Jackson after I saw her start to get up.

"I have a knife in my backpack; if you shoot at it you'll probably just attract more." She made a valid point. Taking the knife from her after she had rooted threw her backpack; she came to stand next to me.

I opened the door carefully to be met with a 6'0 (approximately) dead-man-walking. I took a deep breath as he turned to face me and almost had to jump to ram the knife into his skull, flinching at the squelching/crackly sound it made before he dropped to the floor. I kicked the door shut gently and threw the knife onto the irrelevant chair in the corner before waddling back to bed.

"You hate it, don't you?" Jackson asked once she was lying next to me again.

"Hate what?"

"Killing them."

"Is it supposed to be enjoyable?" I questioned rhetorically. I felt her shake her head before turning to face the wall. I sighed quietly and repeated her actions.

-

A/N: sorry this update is a little late and I'm sorry it's sort of short!! this is just to reel you guys in. the chapters will definitely get longer if you stay tuned.

as usual, feedback is appreciated. let me know what you guys think of these first two chapters and i'll see you all next week for the third chapter!!

there's plenty more to come. this is going to be a rollercoaster.

- fay.