Chapter 10:

When the three of us got a room, we played two rounds of Cards against Humanity before Jess (Lisa's twin sister) decided it was time we rested.

I woke up in full alert after remembering I'd spent a night with two strangers. The room was empty and I instinctively checked underneath the bed to make sure my gym bag full of weapons was still there. When it was, I sighed in relief but was still feeling weary about where the twins had gone. Just as I was about to get up to start my search, the bathroom door opened up to reveal Jess, who was wearing a similar outfit to what Lisa was wearing yesterday.

"Good morning." She smiled, drying the ends of her hair with a towel which she threw over the radiator afterwards. "Did you sleep okay?"

"Where's Lisa?" I asked as Jess started packing up her things.

"You need to calm down." Lisa butted in as she walked through the front door holding a rifle.

"Says the one holding a fucking rifle." I said, causing the Aussie to roll her eyes playfully and set the weapon down by the door.

"There's a fair amount of walkers halfway down the road." Lisa revealed, addressing the two of us now. "They're heading this way so we should make a move."

-

Within the next week, I'd broken one of the rules I'd stood by since the beginning of the apocalypse: do not travel in an odd number.

The three of us went pretty much everywhere together, even though we were heading nowhere in particular.

We were on our way back to the car after a 'relaxing' walk - though we killed a walker each during it. I was throwing my bag over my shoulder when I saw a figure trying to break into our vehicle and I had to tell the twins, who were trailing behind me in deep conversation, to be quiet so the person didn't hear us approaching.

The figure was obviously attempting to get into the driver's side with their crowbar and I therefore couldn't see them properly considering we'd approached the car from the passenger side.

"Give me a minute." I whispered, turning briefly to the girls before making my way over to the Ford. Once I thought I was close enough, I pulled out my rifle and quickly aimed it at the convict. "Drop it." I husked, and the convict did. But this wasn't a convict or a thief.

I immediately lowered my weapon when Camila turned to look at me, her eyes shooting open.

"Lauren," She gasped and seconds later, the woman was in my arms.

When she pulled away, I noticed how different she looked; her hair was in a messy high pony and she was wearing a white vest top (which had a few splashes of blood on it) that she had tucked into a pair of black skinny jeans. Her clothes and black Timberlands, even her new backpack, where lightly coated with dirt and it made me wonder what she had been up to in order to get so messy.

I started to scan the surrounding area for Shawn. "What are you doing here?" I asked her as she looked over at Lisa and Jess with furrowed eyebrows.

"Um," She raised her hands a little just to drop them again. "Surviving."

There was a lace of sadness in her voice and I gave her a small smile before Lisa and Jess came over to see what was going on. After weary introductions, the four of us set off again and I felt a sense of calmness knowing we were travelling in even numbers.

"Where are we heading?" I asked even though I knew the answer. I looked in the review mirror to see Lisa and Jess exchanging looks before shrugging at me. "Anywhere you want to go?" I turned my attention to the Cuban in the passenger seat.

"Not anymore." She mumbled whilst looking out the window.

Sighing, I hit the play button on the stereo and let the music fill the silent car. Although this virus took all the humans in the world, it didn't take human emotions. Right now, I was feeling anxious and awkward. I felt as though they were relying on me to take the lead in conversation and direction.

I was overcome with emotions after reuniting with Camila. Sitting with her in the car was giving me butterflies and it was hard not to stare at her and smile and ask her about what she got up to after our parting; but in the car right now was not the same bubbly Camila I was used to. Something was undeniably off with her and it was dominating the comfortable atmosphere the three of us were used to.

An hour or so later, I spotted the silhouette of a cottage house on the horizon and caught myself immediately perking up at the sight. "Guys, look."

All three girls followed my line of view beforeJess spoke up. "I guess we have a destination now."

-

A/N: hey guys!! sorry for not uploading yesterday, I wasn't home to do so but do not be alarmed!! i'll be uploading as usual next Saturday.

so anyway, camila is back - but she's different. I wonder why.

jess and lisa seem to be weary of camila, do you think she should be weary of them? and what's up with this cotttage?? are the four of them just gonna base themselves there as a group?? let me know what you guys are thinking.

happy sunday!!!! have a lovely night. see you next saturday.

take care.

- fay.

ps: sorry if this is all a mess, I usually edit from my phone but I don't have it at the moment.