Chapter 58 | HIM AGAIN?

The chevy cruised smoothly through the palace's winding roads, an eerie silence enveloping the car as it drove us farther out of the city. I could almost picture it from above; the hulk of the chevy silently escaping the city under the moonlight. From outside, no one would suspect that two girls, two breeder-class girls, were being kidnapped. 

"Who are you and what do you want?"

I was surprised by the defiance in my voice, especially considering that my insides were convulsing with an unimaginable fear. 

"That's none of your business." 

The masked driver's answer hung in the air igniting more questions than it answered as his eyes continued to pierce far into the road ahead of us. At least he's paying attention to the road, so there's at least that. 

I nearly chuckle at my silly thought, then wonder how I could possibly be chuckling at a time like this. My best bet is that this is Lana's doing, and that for the most part, we should be safe. Unless this has something to do with the strange tattoo. 

My mind flashes back to the day when I so hopefully walked in the foreign streets of Dumont city, thinking it would solve all of my problems to do that stupid DNA test. I hated the status that society had pushed me into, I hated not having privilege nor freedom to live like the others. I didn't understand why we had to be assigned classes in society and why we were so stuck with them. There was nothing about the crappy duties of breeders that I wanted to be associated with. I didn't like our way of life, nor the villages we had to grow up in, nor the way we were systematically separated from our families and forced to live in such a skewed system. It made no sense to me and it made me so angry to know that other people knew about the way we were treated, and yet didn't think to do or say a thing about it. 

To make matters worse, I was chosen to be a part of Maurice's House of Breeding. And while that may sound like an honor to any girl born into the breeding class, I wasn't so sure I was proud of the title. I was hoping to escape this future of breeding for myself by doing the DNA test and hopefully, miraculously, being assigned a different role in society, a different place, a different status- anything and anywhere far from who I was and where I stood in life. Yet with all that's happening, and with my admission into Maurice's, it felt like it was even harder to escape this increasingly heavy burden. 

As the chevy continued cruising down roads I couldn't recognize, it made me wonder whether it might be a good thing that I'm being taken away. After all, how bad could it be where they're taking me? If these men are part of Lana's crew as I suspect, then I'm assuming we're being taken to their headquarters- which might not have been as royal as the palace, but a visit to the headquarters couldn't be that bad? At least there, maybe I'd have some of my questions answered. 

***

I open my eyes wondering how or when I fell asleep. There is an additional stranger in the car with us this time, I can't tell who she is, but this new addition makes me uneasy. How could I have fallen asleep? I badly want to ask Kernel when this stranger joined our royal entourage, but Kernel's head is bobbing back and forth against the window, deep in sleep against all the motion. 

The stranger too is asleep, her silhouette dark and indecipherable in the stark darkness as the dimly lit streets barely illuminated a thing. I shift uncomfortably in my seat, feeling a need to move and stretch, whilst holding back the urge to pee. The last thing I wanted to do was ask Mr. None of your business whether we could stop for a potty stop in the middle of this dark nowhere. I wondered where we were headed to one final time, before I let myself fall back asleep; this time knowingly so. 

***

It was nearly dawn when we reached a modestly sized victorian style building in the outskirts of an even more modest village we'd just passed by. Aside from an outlying building about a quarter mile away, the building stood pretty much on its own, surrounded by acres of green grass, and our approaching chevy. No chance of being saved or escape. 

Our kidnappers drove to the back of the building, where a large driveway of sorts served as a parking space for other cars as well as old-style horse carriages. I couldn't decide whether it was weirder seeing a collector style 2002 Porsche next to an ancient horse carriage, or seeing an ancient horse carriage parked by a Porsche. 

"Nap time is over ladies. Charles, take them in."

The giant of a guy sitting next to me ushered Kernel and I out while another went to the other side of the car to wake up the "new" girl. 

It was still fairly dark outside despite the lights littered through out the parking space by the house. As Charles and his friend ushered us inside through the backdoor, I got a sick feeling in my stomach as I watched the friend usher the girl before me in. I knew that walk. Damn it. 

Surely enough, as we stepped inside the foyer and into a living space of sorts, it was her. Shayla. These men had somehow managed to kidnap me, Kernel and none other than Shayla. Shayla, Shayla, Shayla. 

In that moment Shayla caught me gawking at her, and her eyes glinted with recognition at first, followed by a grimace. As if I wasn't just as bothered being in the same space as her. Regardless of what the circumstance was, I still really wanted to punch her. This is all her fault. She's the reason I ended up in Maurice's and while that may be something other girls want, it wasn't something I wanted and God, I just wanted to punch her so badly. Not even because I truly had a reason, but her face is just so punchable, and punching her would really help release all the stress and frustration that currently coursed through my body. 

"Ladies, I'm glad you made it." 

An overly dressed woman slowly descended the stairs to stand in front of us, her eyes glowing with mischief. Lana followed right behind her, still dressed in black, gun in holster, probably the same one she'd used at the palace earlier. 

Frizzy orange hair in an interesting up do, paired with a dramatically made up face was the best way to describe the eccentric lady standing before us. She stood quiet tall, nose in air, wearing a dress that fit in well with the victorian theme of the house. 

" Well, well, I'm glad you all have made it here safely. Please, have a seat. The others should join us shortly." the woman disappeared just as quickly as she'd come into a different room in the house, as her voice still rung in my ears. 

"God Charles, did you at least feed them something?" 

Before Charles could answer, the sound of a door banging open and loud footsteps caught our attention. Another group of men just like Charles, escorted more people into the room, six new faces joined us, some taking a seat on the swan-print sofas and couches, while others remained standing. Five of them were strangers I'd never seen before, one of them standing out to me as I instantly recognized him, for I'd seen him just hours ago: Cyrus. 

I wondered whether we'd been picked on purpose or randomly. If randomly, than why does he keep appearing everywhere? And if on purpose, could it have anything to do with the tattoos that I knew both Cyrus and I had? Though I wasn't sure that could be it, Kernel didn't have one, and Shayla surely didn't have one, did she? 

"Alright, is that all?" Lana asks. The man she's addressed her question to has a heavy-on-the-heart kind of face. It wasn't so much the scar running from forehead to chin that made him so, but rather the frown, the unfriendly features- the intensity and this aura of blackness that seemed to radiate from him. Whoever he was, this guy looked dangerous.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING THIS CHAPTER IF YOU'VE MADE IT THIS FAR!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO DO SO <3 

******OMG I AM SO TERRIBLY SORRY YOU GUYS THIS UPDATE TOOK ME LONGER THAN IT SHOULD HAVE! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT, SEEING ALL YOUR COMMENTS REALLY MOTIVATED ME TO GET BACK ON TRACK ! THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT I'M DONE WITH MY FINALS SO EXPECT THE NEXT UPDATE SOON!! ***