Chapter 21 | Next: Operation Palace

Hey guys :D 

So here's a lengthier chapter AND this one doesn't have a cliffhanger for once yay lol xD It was so hard to resist not including one, but whatever, hope you enjoy this chapter and thank you all so much for reading and voting <3 it really means a lot to know you're dedicating time to read my story :3

***

It was decided that Ed would come to pick us up. Once Lana closed the phone, she led out a huff of annoyance, then casually walked to take shade under the nearest tree, resting her back against it's trunk as she let her eyes close, the sun glinting off her eyelash' ends.

In utter confusion I plopped down on the spot next to her, 

"So..."

She half opens one eye to look at me then closes it again.

"What."

"What about the pendant?" 

Wasn't she furiously trying to find it only moments ago? 

"Yeah, what about the pendant?" she replies in a mocking tone, her eyes still closed.

"You're a funny girl you know that. Moments ago you were threatening to turn me in if I don't find your oh-so precious pendant, and now all of a sudden, you don't care about the pendant."

"Why do you care if we find the pendant or not?" she replies in a casual tone.

"I don't. But finding the pendant is my only way to get a ride from you to Dumont. It's as simple as that."

It wasn't possible for me to explain to her how much this simple trip could alter my life, change the entire course of my future. She's the Golden Thief, she's never lived by anyones rules, or under anyone's rule for that matter, she wouldn't understand the importance of getting to Dumont for my scan, and there was a big chance, that if I told her about my DNA scan, she might use it against me. 

After all, what could I expect from someone who stole without giving a thought about who they were stealing from, who's life they were ruining in the process. Her pendant probably isn't even her pendant. 

"Listen you, whatever your name is, you will have to come with me and Ed. We'll run a quick operation in the palace then we'll drop you off in Dumont. Got it?" her dark brown eyes were open now, staring directly at me as she spoke,

"Operation?" 

"I hate questions, you really need to stop asking so many of them. Yes, a quick operation, then we'll be off."

"What kind of operation? And why, why in the palace? Oh God, what are you planning?" in a desperate effort to hide my panic, it became more evident as I spoke,

"Relax. It'll be quick I promise. We just need to retrieve what was attached to this," she holds up the strand of leather I'd picked up earlier, wishing now that I'd never found it. Lana points to one of it's ends, making me realize that this is the leather from her pendant, the guards must have found it and cut off the jewel, confirming my suspicion that her pendant, didn't belong to her.

Knots formed in my stomach as I tried to digest what this meant. We had to run a quick operation, in the palace, of all places, the palace, to retrieve Lana's stolen pendant, and only then I'd get dropped off in Dumont. 

Lana's eyes were now closed again, her eyelids shut in a way only a sleeping person's would be, making me wonder if she'd fallen asleep so quick because she'd been up all night for an "operation" to get the pendant she wants me to help her steal again.

As the leaves shading me rustled above, my mind indulged in a vicious debate between getting up and leaving while Lana was still asleep, and trying to justify going ahead with her plan in the palace. 

No matter how much I turned the matter over in my mind, I came to no conclusion, my morality equal to that of my desperation to get to the scan.

***

The sun was slowly descending into the lower part of the world when I heard the helicopter's whirring in the distance. As I woke Lana, my stomach still tight with a feeling of guilt, the helicopter made its way to a clearing only about a mile from us. 

I'd picked up on her conversation with Ed earlier, that he'd be coming for us in a helicopter, what I hadn't known, was that he'd land so far away.

We collected our few belongings in a matter of seconds, walking alongside each other in silence, she thinking about whatever a mastermind thief thinks about, and me thinking how I'll be able to sleep at night after tonight. 

Within 15 minutes we arrive at the clearing, a tall, skinny and heavily tattooed guy waving to us from the opened helicopter door, his leather black vest matching his overall gangly look.

"Hey Ed." Lana takes Ed's hand as he helps her into the helicopter, his smile setting his face in a friendly contour despite the various piercings his face sported.

Hesitantly I approach after Lana, Ed offering his hand to me in the same friendly manner,

"Well hello Lana's mystery guest, what's your name?"

"Stella." I shyly reply as he pulls me into the helicopter,

"Nice, I like that, Stella, has a nice ring to it, you know? Anyways, welcome to Ed's grand helicopter, and let me know if you need anything since I know she's not the best person to ask, for like anything."  

I mumbled a quick thanks to Ed before he locked up the door and fastened himself into the cockpit, silently glad it wouldn't be just Lana and I. Ed's grand helicopter  couldn't have been any less grand or normal, its interior entirely a dull grey from the bench we were seated on, to the flooring and doors. 

I'd never been in a helicopter, but I'd seen plenty of photos, the only thing I found surprising was how a guy as edgy as Ed would fly something so monochrome. My head was turned towards the tiny window, butterflies in my stomach starting to dance with anticipation at the thought of being flown into the air. 

Next to me, Lana sat again with her eyes closed, her back resting against the faded grey of the helicopter, more interested in getting in another nap than the helicopter ride. 

I heard the helicopter's engine roar to life, the whirring of its rotors ringing in my ears as I sat with my hands tightly gripping the bench with anticipation for take off. 

Within minutes, and so quickly I thought it almost didn't happen, we ascended into sky, the forest we'd been trekking becoming smaller and smaller, until we were so high up I could see the entirety of Mason City sprawled beneath us. 

Buildings, and parks, farms and dozens of multicolored fields, neatly squared laying side by side. Highways and roads crowded with tiny cars, and even smaller looking people. It was breathtaking. 

As we continued cruising above the city, I let myself relax a little, my head resting against the metal of the helicopter as the view from the window continued to mesmerize me.  

***

See you next FRIDAY!!