Chapter 24 | An Unexpected Ball

Loud banging woke me up, first stirring in bed, then angrily stomping over to fling the door wide open. My anger dissipating as quickly as it had come at the sight of Ed at the door, holding out a set of neatly folded clothes to me, his face lit up with a smile.

"Sleep well?" 

"Sort of." I take the clothes from him, trying to return his smile while convincing myself today won't be that bad.

"Stella, no pressure or anything, but try to be done in thirty minutes, I'll be introducing you to the other recruits before we head out. Also, make sure to bring all your belongings with you, I'll be waiting for you by the door, okay?"

I nodded, trying to put on the most grateful expression I could muster though in reality I wished Ed would disappear along with this whole place, to just vanish into nonexistence.

Walking back into the room, my feet took me to the bathroom first where I brushed my teeth, silently musing over my conversation with Lana only a couple of hours ago. Tons of questions only now made their way into my consciousness, what kind of mystery tied her so strongly to this pendant? Why wouldn't the mission work without me? 

I spat out the toothpaste, the flavor of mint burning in my mouth as I began to put on the outfit Ed gave me. The contents were mostly black and white, a knee length dress, black dress shoes, a bandana of some sorts, putting it on I headed to the mirror to see the final result; my suspicions confirming themselves at the sight of my reflection decked out in a maid's outfit.

From head to toe, I looked like a proper maid serving in a high-class home somewhere in the wealthy neighborhoods of Adrounge. 

A knock sounded from the door,

"Ready yet?" Ed's voice came in muffled from behind the door, 

"Almost."

Taking a look at the clock, I picked up pace, 1:33 A.M, we were already so late, I frantically scurried about the room picking up my belongings; my cloak off the chair, cream from the dresser, clothes from the bathroom floor. What few other belongings littered the room were quickly swept up and placed in the rucksack that I hurriedly zipped close and headed towards the door.

The corridor was dimly lit as our footsteps echoed against its walls, 

"So Stella, do your parents know your here? I mean do you want to contact them or something, they're probably worried about you."

His question takes me by surprise, no one has ever asked me about my parents, I was a breeder, no one needed to ever ask me about my parents. I racked up my brain, trying to think of an answer without admitting to him that I was a breeder, determined to keep that part to myself. 

In the republic, discrimination against lower classes was very prominent, and though Ed seemed nice, it was also clear that he belonged into a higher class despite his association in this little thief-business. The second I reveal to him the truth about my whereabouts and my family, there's no telling what might happen. 

They might ditch me on the nearest road after the mission, or they might even straight up just leave me in the palace itself, not caring about what happens to the lowly-class breeder after they get their pendant. It was harsh to believe, but this was the reality of breeders in the republic; we were treated worse than animals, our lives tossed around like filthy, unwanted puppets.

Even if they decide to overlook my status, the republic wouldn't, simply being associated with me puts their lives at risk especially that I'm out of my assigned boundary.

"No, they wouldn't care that I'm gone."

That much was true, most breeder parents came to meet their children once or twice, as was the custom,  to show their face so that their child can recognize them if they ever happen to cross paths. But mine? They didn't show up at the union conference a few years back, and when Mother Mindy wanted to send invitations for our induction ceremony coming up, she couldn't even locate an address for my parents; they didn't want to find me, and they didn't even want me to be able to find them. Breeders don't have families, Ed. But I wouldn't dare say that to him.