Chapter 63 | Barcodes

Of course I was seated next to Cyrus as per Lana's intervention on the bus.

We're part of the same unit responsible for the equipment, and with Lana being in charge, she went out of her way to push Kernel aside and command Cyrus to the back to sit next to me.

She seated several others, but I felt like this was done intentionally. In any case, I didn't mind.

I did, and I kind of didn't.

I tried hard to keep my eyes focused on the window, I felt like there was a slight air of awkwardness remembering the shattering glass incident.

I know it wasn't a big deal, but for some reason it was to me.

Like how could I have just dropped it like that. Such an idiot, ugh.

Cyrus shifts from next to me, and I get the sense that he may be feeling... awkward too? Uncomfortable?

The vehicle finally starts and he stops shifting and settles down in his seat, a giant bag on his lap.

"So...how you feeling? Ready for this?" He asks looking at me,

I turn around, instantly met by an intense gaze, and oh my- his eyes were simply mesmerizing.

"I can't believe it's real; that this is actually happening."

"Yeah, I know it's insane." He pauses, then as if pulling from memory he follows up with,

"I would've never imagined that the day I saw you on the bus it'd lead me here. If you'd told me I'd be here a week ago, I'd never have believed it."

It takes a minute for his words to sink in,

"Wait, what? The day you saw me on the bus, what about it?"

"Remember, the tattoos, on the bus when I dropped you off?"

"Yeah of course I remember that day, it was my first time leaving the academy premises, but what does that have to do with you being here?" I turn to fully face him.

He opens his mouth, but nothing comes out at first as if he's lost for words,

"After I dropped you off I completed my shift cycle and then...I came back to the academy. I'd been there before, I just never knew that someone who's been branded like me was there. I've been curious about this for the longest time and I was trying to find you to see if you had answers. And coincidently, in my search, I ran into Shayla, we did some-"

"Wait Shayla? You came across Shayla? You mean Shayla is- has a-?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing, of course she had to be tattooed too. Of course she had to, this is Shayla we're talking about, how could I believe that she'd be off my case in anything.

"Yes, she's marked, like us."

But how? My eyes instantly darted to the front of the bus where Shayla was sat next to Miles and somehow hadn't provoked him and gotten herself thrown out the window yet.

How did she get her branding? We've shared every day of our life for as long as I can remember, how could I not have found out about this?

"The first time I came to the academy I dropped you off and left. But I recognized the place; I was supposed to be assigned to this academy a long time ago. When I realized you might be related to the markings- I wanted to get some answers. I figured if I'd find you, I don't know, I might get some answers. So I came to the academy looking for you, and I ran into Shayla. Long story short, turns out she's marked too...and we might've, um...kept a close eye on you and Kernel...and now we're all here."