Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty-Three:

Pain. The first thing that went through my mind was pain. The ringing in my ears that rattled my head, the burning sensation in my lower shin, and the nails gripping onto my waist line. Then after that came the growing noise. Not mine but those near me, a whisper, a shout, a scream, I couldn't tell what it was. Only that it made the ringing worse.

Next I felt my surroundings come back. The hard plastic that lined the Chevy, the back of the leather seats that my leg was leaning against. The fact that I was I was no longer laying on the floor of the truck instead thrown onto the ceiling.

The window just next to my head was broken, the shards littering everything. The ground, my skin, the surface of the car and the rotting body that was a mere few inches away from my face.

A loud screech was released from what felt like a mile away but actually came from my throat. The gnawing of the beast started to ring through my ears. It's about to reach through the gaping whole of the window but a sharp object smashed right through his skull and out the eye socket. Maroon blood flew in every direction.

I turn away to avoid the rotting blood but to no avail. The thick liquid gets the left side of my face and lands in my ear as well. I look down to see the blue eye brunette laying on his side. He was clutching his upper thigh, as were his hands cover in bright red blood. He groaned lowly, barely recognizing the blood that sprayed all over his dirt ridden face.

I scooted my way across the ceiling of the car until I reached Carl's injury. I grabbed his hand to see what was going on with his leg but instead of it coming off as caring, he sat up straight threatening my neck with his knife.

"Don't fucking touch me- Y/N?" He slowly releasing his tight grip from the knife. "What?"

"Your face is bloody. Wait we need to get out of this truck." He starts to rapidly crawl his way out the broken window without the rotting corpse in front of it. He slides and with a groan as do I. "Get as many supplies as you can with me."

Carl tries to get up straight but instead fell to asphalt. "Hey no. You're injured. Making more blood go to your leg isn't gonna help any of us. I'll go do it."

He continues to try once more but he grudgingly sat down. I stood up and limped my way over to the turned over truck. It hit a metal box at a tilt. As I neared the truck I saw something laying beside the far side of the box.

Scratch that. It's two figures. One laying and one kneeling next to the laid down figure. Shit.

Michonne slumped over Sasha's body. A short piece of metal struck through her upper chest, nearly in between her clavicle. A short gasping sound came to a final stop as the sniper slowly faded away and joined her lost family members.

My eyes started to water, my throats closing up but not out of pity. I never knew Sasha long enough to feel a big impact of her death. But when I say that it hurt as I saw yet another human being unfairly taken away from their life, I'm lying. It didn't just hurt, it really fucking hurt.

Yet another human trying to survive for the human race to just parish. Gone. Again. What the fuck? Is this the way Mother Nature is getting back at us for destroying Earth! Killing the majority of our population. Nature can be beautiful but it also can sure be a fucking bitch.

I could barley speak but a living human needed help, "Carl's injured. On his leg. It's bad I think."

I limped over the few feet next to the still warm corpse. I could just see the pain that would flash through her groups eyes. The pain of memories that they had together. That they were the last memories they'd have, that they lost yet another part of their family.