Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty:

The rain was still pouring from the darkened grey sky that seemed to roll and rumble with the wind. I lifted myself up from the wet metal surface of the truck and started to climb out using the large tire. Before I let myself drop, I grabbed my soaked bag  As soon as my sneaker clad feet hit the asphalt ground, feeling the loose pebbles rolling underneath, I looked back from where we came.

The old house was almost fully visible from where I stood or it could have been any of our old neighbors. My body was tugged towards the main focus, a three story building. Most likely a house at some point during the baby boomer era but it has since become an apartment building.

"This building isn't really on the list but we're hoping to find something in the rooms. I assume there are three above floors obviously but a place like this would most likely have a basement. So, I think I should take the upper most floor, Sasha takes the second floor and then Carl and Y/N take the ground level. Wait for the basement if there's one." Michonne assumed the position the leader and less is on it the old building.

Trying to avoid my past just down the street, I rushed towards the door assuming it was open. It wasn't and the momentum of me running into the door threw me down, almost down the few stone steps that led to the doorway.

"Oof." That was the only sound that was heard from my body while the rest was laughter from the others.

"Following in my footsteps I see. I did the same thing while we were on the road." Carl chipped in through the laughter, reminiscing his past.

"I don't remember you ever doing that Carl." Michonne said as she grabbed my right forearm, allowing me to get up.

"It was, what, a day before you found my dad and I." While the three out of four was focusing on my mishap, the fourth was working on the locks of the door.

"It's open. Be ready." Sasha stated.

I saw Michonne grab hold of her katana, Carl grasping his gun in his hands while Sasha aimed her sniper at the door. I grabbed my gun from my waistband but still felt unsure. Shooting was still not in my books of talents. Michonne and I were placed on the duty of opening the door, while the gunning experts of the group were placed in front of the doorway. Carl and Sasha waited for whatever was near the doorway to come out as I opened the door slowly.

As nothing came from within, not a dead one or not even a noise, I opened the door fully peaking in. The door just lead into a small space that occupied another door. Still wanting to avoid what laid down the street only a few minutes walk away, I went to open the latter door that would let us enter the building. This time the door opened without a budge and it revealed an empty hallway. The only things that littered the hall were old papers and various household items.

I cocked my gun as I entered the door, turning my head only to be brought to another door. After I entered the building, the others piled in quickly.

"What the fuck was that Y/N? Do you know what could have been- Nevermind we can talk about this later." Carl whispered harshly as he joined me near the steps. The stair case sat in the middle of the hallway. And there about three doors on each side of the walls.

"Carl, Y/N away from the stairs. You're doing the ground level. Check the rooms together or at least stay near each other. We'll meet up back here unless there's complications. Good? Good." Nothing else was said as Sasha trotted up the stairs and Michonne one more than Sasha.

The only noises heard were the sounds of doors opening, creaking stairs and a few low groans. "They sound weak. But I can't tell we're they're coming from. They could be down here or they could just be coming from the vents."