Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen:

Carls face was just inches away from mine, time feeling like it was slowing down as we just stared at each other. His gaze was no longer located on my eyes but on my cheeks. (A/N: It's the face cheeks, not the ass cheeks.)

Carl brought his hand up and wiped my cheek. He then moved back to his position on the other side of the tree. It didn't change much but he wasn't as close. I turned my head outside the tree, hoping to hide the blush that was making it's way to my face.

I looked around the tree, seeing the herd pass us. Just as the first part herd headed north, almost out of earshot, the rest of the dead ones buddies came along.

As I saw the rest of their group, maybe about 30 or so, I placed my whole body back inside the tree. The constant and growing growls of the dead ones was causing thoughts to run through my head.

'That's a lot of dead ones... I don't think I've been so close to a group this big! What if they hear us? Or smell us? Can they smell us? Ugh. I don't know. What Carl ends up like Milia?! I can't lose another person.' Anxiety was coursing through my veins as one though turned into another thought.

The herd just started to limp past us as Carl shook my shoulders, taking me away from my thoughts.

"Hey, what's wrong? Is it the walkers?" Carl whispered in my ear as he pulled me a bit closer.

By now, I'm sure Carl could feel my heart beating rapidly. "Just thoughts. I'm fine."

"You're not fine. Whenever someone says they're fine, they are most likely not." Carl let go of his sheriffs hat and pulled me in even closer.

The dead ones moans and groans were the only thing I could hear. I couldn't see them as my face was hidden with Carl's shoulder. My mind began thinking thoughts again as I felt the tree being hit by the mindless bodies. But the thoughts weren't that bad in the beginning.

'Carl's very warm. I'm glad I know him, I don't think any other person would be able to put up with me. But does just like me as a friend or like a pity thing? Earlier it seemed like he was gonna kiss me... Jeez! I sound like a teenage girl.'

"Well.... You kinda are."

"Shut up. I meant like a teenage girl that doesn't have to go through the shit hole called an apocalypse." '

I argued with myself for who knows how long. I usually talk with myself but that's not weird.

'Yeah it is but you're weird so it's okay.' Here I go again. I opened my eyes to see a flannel. I turned my body a bit and tried to look out the hole.

I saw the dead ones still wandering around to the north but it seemed as the old ones left, more new ones came.

"How many do you think there is?" I asked Carl, standing in my toes to reach his ear.

"Hell of a lot. I think we're stuck in one of those massive herds. It's might've came from a city." He whispered back and then looked through the big hole himself.

"Or a quarry." He seemed to shake at the thought of that word.

I started to freak out as the dead ones just kept on coming and almost finding us. My body was only shaking a little but Carl noticed. He used his right hand to move my head back into his shoulder area and made sure I kept it there.

'Carl probably did that so I wouldn't have a panic attack. If that happened, we'd both be meat for the undead.' Instead of focusing on the dead ones, I focused on Carl.

His flannel over shirt was soft and was a mix of black and blue. He had a smell of coconut and the woods. Carl's right arm was around my waist area and his left was placed at my side, near my knife.