Starting to Change

Fionna's POV

My eyes opened wide. All I could see was darkness. I felt like I was under water, but I could breathe. My hat was gone, and my hair was flowing outwards. I didn't know where I was or what to do.

Pretty soon I started to hear something strange, something I didn't understand. They sounded like wispers.

I looked around, but it was too dark to see anything.

Then, I heard voices calling my name. They started quiet at first, but they soon grew louder and stronger.

My eyes opened up, and I realized that it was a dream.

I was in the Candy hospital when I awoke from my crazy dream.

I lay there in a hospital bed, but rather than the time when I broke my legs, I wasn't in the infermery. I was in a single room with just one hospital bed that was occupied by me.

I guess that the patients that are really, really injured get ttheir own room.

Wait. Am I really, really injured!?

I sat up, making sure that I wasn't missing any limbs. Thankfully, I was fine.

I let out a sigh of relief.

"Fionna?" a voice said.

I turned my head to the side.

It was Marshall Lee. He was knelt beside the bed, wearing jeans and a gray flannel. His hair was messier than usual, and he had dry tear trails running down from his eyes to the bottom of his cheeks.

Wait a minute. Has he been crying? Was he crying because of me?

I opened my mouth to say something, but he gripped me tightly into a hug.

"Marsh, what's going on?" I asked, not knowing what was happening. Marshall broke the hug, about ready to say something, when Cake walked in with Gumball.

"Hey, back away from her!" Cake screamed, throwing a clipboard at Marshall, that he dodged easily.

Cake came running up to me, her arms growing in length and wrapping around me.

"Oh, Fionna, I thought you were never going to wake up!" she cried, tears forming in her eyes.

"What? Never going to wake up? How long was I out?" I asked, not really wanting to know.

Gumball stepped forward. "You were unconscious for almost 3 days, Fionna." he said, casually. "When your tongue got stuck to the wall..." he started saying, when I looked at him as if saying 'Don't ever mention that, ever!'

"...one of the Ice Queen's penguins broke a bottle over your head." he finished.

"Stupid penguins." I muttered under my breath.

"Well, now that you're okay, we can go home!" Cake said, happily.

"I'll go get your clothes." Marshall said, before floating out of the room.

I looked down at myself and noticed I was wearing a hospital gown. My head ached. I put my hand up to rub it, realizing that my hat was gone.

"Hey, my hat!" I said aloud.

"We had to take it off to see how badly you were hurt, Fionna." Gumball said, writing on his clipboard.

"Oh." I said, looking stupid.

Marshall came in with a blue bag in his arms. "Here's your clothes, Fi." he said, sheepishly, floating beside me.

But then Cake hissed and shoved him away.