A Broken Family

Fionna's POV

I kicked and screamed, pulling at Cake's damp fur while I was in the compartment she threw me in.

I huffed curses at her and got growls in response. What did she expect me to say to her? I love you, Cake, thank you so much for lying to me, taking me away from someone I care about, and throwing me into your smelly fur celler? Yeah right!

I felt a halt. The ceiling of the cat-made dungeon opened and her arm came in, pulling me out.

It was still raining outside, so we both hurried in.
I was about to go upstairs into the bedroom, when she stopped me.

"What are you doing? Didn't you expect a lecture when we got back home?" she asked angrily.

I didn't turn back to look at her. "Actually, I did." I continued to climb up the ladder, but Cake pulled me back down.

"Fionna, look at me when I'm talking to you."

"Why?! So you can tell me all about how Marshall's a bad influence?! Or how there's a reasonable explanation as to why you never told me about the Ice Queen?! I yelled, trying to choke back the salty droplets threatening to come out.

"Fionna, you should know that I'm nothing like that witch. I left her the second I found out she was always up to no good!" Cake tried explaining, but I didn't even want to hear her crummy explanation.

"On the other matter..." she changed the subject. "I want to know what's going on with you and him." she said darkly.

I turned, looking her in the eye. "You want to know the truth, Cake? Well, I'll tell you the truth because, unlike some people, I am honest with my sister!"

Cake flinched with a shocked expression. "Oh, yes, Fionna, you're sooo completely honest, just like how you set me up with my old gang just to get me out of the house! I'm sure you knew that they were gonna try and persuade me into a crime. Luckily, I had no intention on going back to that type of life. I just set them all up and now they're all in jail. How honest of you!" she said with a huff.

I swear, at that moment, I could hear the ticking of the time bomb inside of my patience.

"I am honest!" I howled.

"Maybe just not with me." I heard her mutter.

"Why couldn't you just trust me, Cake? I could've handled it if it was you that told me sooner."

"I knew that the truth would do this to you! That's why I had waited!" she said, stepping towards me, anger still stained her face.

"I could've handled it." I repeated.

"No, you couldn't have. Now..." she paused. "Tell me about that blood-sucker." she demanded.

I growled at first, but...an idea struck my brain. 'Should I?' I thought. 'Yes, I'll take my chances!'

"Who?" I said, attempting to sound sarcastically confused. "I don't know anyone that sucks blood, Cake." I put on a light grin.
At this point, I was done arguing, and just trying to make her angry.

Cake made a sour face. "Alright, wise guy. Red-sucker."she said.
I smiled a bit. "Ohhhh, you mean Marshall Lee, that red-sucker."

'Wow, this is kinda fun. No wonder Marshall does it all the time.'

"Well, Cake, if you must know, he and I are madly in love and we're planning on running away to get married and have infinite babies together." I said, using a girly, dream-like voice that was, of course, oozing with sarcasm.

'How funny.' I thought.

Cake, however, did not look the slightest bit of amused. "I can see that that boy is already rubbing off on you. I had hoped that you would've taken my advice and stayed away from him. But, I presume that it is too late now, so, Fionna, I've said it once, and I'll say it again. You are NOT to see him anymore." she said in an icey tone. (I can see where she gets it from.)

Oh, that was it. I am officially done.

However, I had managed to keep whatever chill I had left.
"You don't really think that I'll listen to your orders, do you? I didn't the first time, anyway."

She just raised an eyebrow. "I think you will, Fionna. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on you from now on."

I couldn't stop myself because it was too late. I had snapped.
"You can't stop me from seeing him."
"Yes, I can."

"No, you can't!"

"Yes, I can!"

"NO, YOU CAN'T!" I screamed, but stopped, feeling burning on my cheek.

I looked at Cake, she had on a terrified expression. What was wrong? My cheek felt hot.
Then I saw her paw. Claws out and covered in ruby liquid.

At first I thought that she had cut her paw on a sharp gem while walking through the treasure room.

But realization threw that idea into the trash.

'Great, just great! It's my blood!'

I turned around, climbing up the ladder.

"Fionna..." I heard Cake whisper in a worried tone. I didn't look back.

"Don't worry, Cake. I'm not going to sneak off." I said in a quiet voice and continued climbing up.

I went into the bathroom and looked into the mirror.

'Jeez, she clawed me pretty deep. I'd better wash my face, better yet, I'd better wash my whole self.'

I turned on the shower, disrobing and carefully undoing the bandages on my leg before I stepped into the steamy, loving arms of the water.

'I guess I should use soap or something instead of just standing here.' I picked up the slippery bar of soap and gently lathered it to my face.

I winced as it stung the slashes. I quickly rinsed the soap away and got out, drying off and wrapping my leg again.

I wrapped the damp towl around me once more, leaving the bathroom to rummage through my drawers for clothing.
After I had found something suitable, I retreated back into the bathroom to put them on.

I slid on the black sweatpants and plain gray tee shirt.
I put medicine on the cuts I had on my face. I would've used the tear drop goop to heal it faster, but for some reason, I didn't want to.

Turning off the lights, I snuggled into bed and sighed deeply.

'No more Marshall Lee? Life is not going to give me an easy time with this, is it?'