Decision Train

Marshall's POV

The only thing worse than waking up early, is waking up early to the lack of rain clouds to shield the sun's last few rays before they ever so slowly decide to leave right after lingering to try and bite at my skin.

"Was a sunset breakfast really necessary?" I lightly grumbled from beneath the shade of the umbrella propped up in front of me.

"I wanted to get an early start; and one last good look at the view," Fionna spoke, gaze refusing to break from the sky.

Looking over, golden hair spilled down sharp shoulders, challenging the shine of the sun.

"Besides," she added. "I told you that it was okay if you wanted to sleep in."

I scooted closer, holding in a scoff. "And miss the rare occasion of getting to see the sun on you? Not a chance."

A hum was granted to me with much satisfaction.

"Hm, yeah, I did miss it. The warmth."

She held out her hand in the shaded grass of the umbrella where I was perching. I took it gratefully.

"Are you sure you're alright with this? I mean, after everything?" she asked, eyes fixated on the sinking sunlight.

I brought her hand to my face, the warmth and cold contrasted against one another as my lips swept across her knuckles, bruised from a fight with a rock goblin earlier this week. "Whatever you feel is the right thing, I'm always going to back you one hundred percent, Fi."

Honestly, her smile was the thing that could make me turn to putty with a 'yes' for whatever was asked. It melted away all other thought of doubt in anything.

"Thank you." I barely heard her whisper. Twilight was beginning to settle in, the day and night molding into one.

No longer needing to retreat under my umbrella of safety, I discarded it in favor of the mess of warmth sitting beside me.
Her hugs had been the things that were like a charger to me. So different from years ago. They used to be rough, unlasting, and rare. She used to never show affection.

But now, she often drowns me in it, and I don't dare complain,  because there's honestly nothing to complain about when you're in heaven.

"Should we pack? It might take a while," she asked.

I just mumbled into her shoulder, not wanting this moment of bliss to fade. "I'll just shrink the house again. It's easier."

Her sigh spoke for her. She was anxious. She didn't want to waste time.

My arms fell from where they were wrapped around her as I rose from the ground, our hands still clasped together.

"C'mon, I'll show you something great," I declared as I hastily picked up the mess of gray apple cores and empty juice bottles.

"How great?" she questioned with a sly smile, helping fold up the picnic blanket.

"Something I bet you've never seen," I replied with a grin.

Upon entering our little cottage hidden within the mountain cave, I rummaged through the kitchen drawers in search of the small vile that'd been untouched for about a year.

The faint glow of the blue glass caught my attention as I reached for it.

"Eureka!"

I turned back to the living room, pulling a jacket from the coat rack and ushered Fionna through the front door, Scwabelle following in suit.