'Twas the Night Before the Ball

'Twas the night before the ball, when all through the land

Not a creature was stirring, not even the Forest of Hands.

The sky was polished with stars and cold air,

and everyone hoped that tomorrow would soon be there.

Everybody rested, cozy in there homes, including the King Worm

and the head of the gnomes.

But above the shadowed night clouds, an omen hung.

Something about tomorrow's event was on the tip of misfortune's tongue.

Fionna's POV

The ball is tomorrow and everyone seems to be making a big deal about it. Not me, of course. Well...that wasn't entirely true. I'm anxious about tomorrow night, but it's not the party that's been making my stomach twist.

I stand on a small wooden stool with my arms out as Cake uses me as a mannequin for my own dress.

'Why does she have to measure me every time? It's been almost an hour and my arms hurt.'

"Um, Cake, are you almost finished? I really need to put my arms down."

"Almost." she answered, seeming to not even have heard the question.

'This sucks! I bet Marshall doesn't have to deal with this dressy, boring type of torture.'

                                                  ~~~

Marshall's POV

"This is stupid." I said, standing on a stool while my mother sewed my suit.

"I have plenty of formal wear and I know how to dress myself, Mom." I added, annoyed at the fact that I was being treated like a child.

"This is a very important event and I will not have my son showing up looking like a fool." she retorted, venomously.

"Pfft, any excuse to use me as a doll, huh?" I murmured.
She looked up from her stitchwork at me and gave a light smile that I briefly returned.

"There, all done." she said as she adjusted the neck of my collar.
"Now..." she said, picking up a satin-wrapped box from the dark floor. "Put on the boots."

I just sighed. "Mom, we've discussed the boots." I said, tiredly.
Her face produced a sour expression. "MARSHALL LEE ABADEER, PUT ON THE BOOTS THIS INSTANCE!" She let out a demon-screech.

'Isn't my mother just a wonderful person?' I thought, sarcastically. "Ok, ok, I'll put on the stupid boots!" I said, taking them from the box and slipping them onto my feet.

I lifted my arms and exclaimed, "Happy now?"

She studied my attire before exclaiming,"Oh, Marshall..." her voice wobbly. "You look so handsome."

She was yelling just a second ago and now she's tearing up? There is seriously something wrong with that woman.

Next thing I know is that I'm getting smothered by one of her spine-crushing death hugs.

"My little monster is all grown up." she said, squeezing out the unnecessary air in my lungs.

"Mom, please, I'm a thousand years old." I said, sounding irritated. But I return the hug anyway since no one is around.

"I know, I know. But you're still always my little creature of the night." She said, pinching at my face.

"Gah, mom!" I swatted her hand away.

"Alright, alright, I'll go now. I expect you to where the full outfit to the ball, okay?"

"Ok." I sighed as she stepped into the portal that she never bothered to close up when she arrived here.

Man, this ball seemed stupid. If I show up before Fi does, there's definitely going to be some mischief for me to cause.

                                                    ~~~

Prince Gumball's POV

Oh my goodness, there's too much to be done!

I helped the Candy Castle staff members put finishing touches on the ballroom and assisted the cooks, helping them bake an abundance of treats.

But there was still too much to take care of!

The entertainment. The lighting. The width of the dance floor!!!

There's going to be hundreds of people coming tomorrow night, and the event is going to be held on the second floor! Will it be able to even hold hundreds of people?! What if it breaks?! What if it breaks and we all die?! What would I do then?! Nothing, apparently, because I'd be dead too!

"Prince, are you feeling alright?"

I turned from the view of the ballroom to see Peppermint Maid.

"Oh, yes, I'm fine. Just making sure that everything is in tip top shape for tomorrow night."

"Maybe you should get some shut-eye, your majesty." she said, leading me to my chambers.

"B-but, more work needs to be done." I tried to say, but somehow my nightwear was on me and I was already tucked in my bed.

"I'll take care of everything, don't worry. Just get some rest." she said. "Goodnight, prince." she added, before reaching for the handle to shut the door.

"Peppermint Maid."

She stooped. "Yes, prince?"

"Can you make sure that the floor in the ballroom is stable?" I asked.

"Of course, your highness."

"And, Peppermint Maid.."

"Yes, prince?"

"Can you leave the hallway light on with the door opened a little bit?"

She stared. "Um...sure, prince."