Battle of Affections

Marshall's POV

My consciousness half functional, and my brain stirring, I awoke with cotton sheets kissing my cold skin. The darkness of the room drowned its contents, but it was no match for hair made of sunshine, seemingly glowing.

A small growl escaped my lips as I turned over to pull the radient-toned angel closer to my bare chest. She only released the smallest of sighs.

Nuzzling my lips into the dip of her neck, I found contentment. And though a ghost of a shudder plagued my being, I remained tranquil.

The hours went by as if minutes, laying together as if we could get away with doing absolutely nothing at all. And it was perfect. Being with her was perfect.

"Hon, you gotta let go of me," her fragile, sleepy voice whispered. Only a grunt of refusal was let out by me.

"Marsh, c'mon let go, I gotta use the bathroom," she added, attempting to pry her self free from my snake-coiled arms.
I eventually gave in and watched her disappear into the restroom.

I dug my face back into the warm pillows and made a successful attempt to fall back into slumber.

Somewhere on the edge of subconsciousness, the pitter-patter of feet could be just barely heard. Disregarding it as rain, I continued on with my dreams of touchable sunshine and ocean orbs.

My nose was the thing that pulled me out of bed. A scent of sugar and scarlet trailed downstairs. Hovering down the ladder to investigate, my eyes caught hold of a braid of gold swaying slightly left to right. And the scent wasn't the only sweet thing in the air, hums of old melodies filled the recently silent home.

"Hey, sleepy head," Fionna said as she turned her head from the stove to me. "I made breakfast."

I let out a minuscule grunt. "I was supposed to be the one making  you breakfast. Now my plan is ruined," I exclaimed whilst putting on a pouty face.

She just laughed. "Beat ya to it," she said with a wink and continued flipping the velvety pancakes.

I let out a huff and went to hug her from behind. She stopped when my face was nuzzled against her neck.

"Happy 1 year," I mumbled into her skin.

She set the spatula aside and turned around.

"Happy 1 year, Marsh." She returned the embrace and give a quick smooch.

"Now how about some grub?" she said, pushing me to the table.
"I made your favorite! Red velvet pancakes!" She piled them high on my plate and smiled big. I couldn't help but grin back at her.
"Thanks, hon," I spoke while draining the flapjacks' color.
Since my plans for surprising her with breakfast were spoiled, I had to come up with something else for this one-year anniversary. Something different, that she'll never expect.

I chuckled mischievously without knowing, earning a raised eyebrow from her.

Her gaze looked me over as if trying to figure out my undecided plans.

"What're you plotting, oh mighty king of evil?" She asked, elbows perched on the wood of the table, her palms propping up her head as she leaned a bit forward.

Letting out a huff of breath, I forwarded myself to meet her eyes. Giving that small button nose a peck, I said to her, "Nothing that concerns you...yet." With that I stood from the table to waltz right back into the bedroom to get dressed.

After insisting that we were out of bugmilk, I shot her a loving wink and exited the house.

                                                   ~~~