Chapter 8

So sorry for the short chapter!
Enjoy :)

••••••

Chapter 8
(Sophia's POV)
​I have been texting John for hours wondering where's at and why he wasn't responding. Was he angry with me still? Did he regret last night? I talked with Jay and he sounded off but he told me that he thought John came home.
He was upset with me for not telling him about the cancer but he said he would try to get in contact with John and let me know if he was alright. I hadn't heard from either of them. I didn't wanna be stressed because it would worsen our chances for getting pregnant. I was pacing the living room floor; phone in hand, when it rang loudly scaring me a little.
I looked down to see it was John calling me... finally. I felt relief wash over my body as I answered the call and put the phone to my ear. "John... I'm glad you're okay. I've been so worried." I said breathing lightly into the phone. "Sophs...we need to talk" he said stiffly.
I was glad to hear from him but his words worried me "Baby what's wrong? Where have you been? I've been trying to get in touch with you all day...""I'll be home in two minutes" I heard the dial tone before I could say I love you. I walked slowly to the sofa and sat down wondering what was going on.
He sounded so monotone on the phone, and that was downright scary. He could want to break up, but he could also be bringing home a puppy. It's hard to decipher what he could want to talk about. And I was worrying so much that I thought I could feel the grey hairs forming. But I'm sure it was just nervous sweats. I sat waiting for John for what felt like an hour, but I'm sur it was just a few minutes. I was so spaced; I didn't hear his car pull up.
But I heard it when he put his key in the deadbolt, my heart started beating faster as I waited for him to come in and tell me what was going on. He came in and went straight for the kitchen; I heard the fridge open.
Then he came in the living room and I heard the sound of a can opening. I watched him take a swig of his drink before sitting on the table across from me.  "Hey Sophs..." he said putting his drink down and looking at me, with sad eyes. "Hey..." I said lightly and even I could hear how scared my voice sounded.
"You're not gonna like this but I don't wanna keep it from you..." I looked at him confused, and he pressed a few things on his phone. He put it on speaker and that's when I heard a voice.
Hey John...it's Miranda...Going by your voicemail you don't sound much different.  I know it's been quite some time since we've talked or seen each other. And I hope your just busy and haven't been avoiding my calls. Please call me back. I-I really would love to hear from you... (I looked up at john) And we have something that we need to discuss and you're probably going to be very upset. But I swear John I didn't know, not until recently.(She paused) I'm so sorry for the way things happened between us... The abortion... My cheating... I w-wish I could take it all back. Things would be so different right now. We would probably still be together and married by now. You don't have to call me back right away or at all really. But if you could please meet me at my mother's house, on Friday... I would really like to not have to talk to you through your voicemail. John I still... (Again she sighed and there was a long pause so I thought it was over) I miss you John... I never-
The automated voice came back on and I sat there in shock staring at the phone. I looked up at John and he kept his head down and to the side, not saying anything. My mind started racing with all of the possibilities of why she was trying to contact him now.
Was she trying to say what I thought she was? I doubt he's the father; she could've slept with more than one guy. Did she really keep something this important from him for this long? Well so did I... but what she did was much worse. "I can't believe she kept something like this from you. Did you call her back? I hope you're not really going to believe her." I said watching him.
He lifted his head up and looked at me in disbelief. He stood up and started to walk away but turned back shaking his head "What, you mean like you kept something important from me..."My mouth popped open in shock at the malicious tone in his voice.
John walked out of the living room and down the hall into our room. I sat there in disbelief at what just happened. I heard some shuffling going on in the room and just as I got up to go see what he was doing; he came walking back down the hall. I saw that he changed his shirt.
He was looking at his phone as he walked down the hall, and without saying a word to me; he went into the kitchen. I followed him and I saw he was getting a beer out of the fridge.
"John I told you I was sorry about that, and that I wouldn't keep anything else from you. I thought we talked about this?" he stared at me for a moment "yeah we did, but you have to give me time Sophia. And you can't fault her for what she did when you did the same thing to me" "I didn't tell you I was sick, she didn't tell you about a baby" he sat down at the table and started texting; was that her?
"Are you texting her now? You're going to meet her Friday? We're not gonna talk about this...you already made up your mind?" "We can talk about it..." he said popping open another can of beer. "John... I didn't mean it that way. It's just... that's a child how can you not let your child know their father?" I said shaking my head feeling sad for him.
"Two..." he whispered putting his beer down and looking at me. I looked at him confused then he cleared his throat "...children; I have twins Soph." I stared at him for a long moment and he stared back. "And you're sure..." "My son looks just like me, and my daughter has a few of my features... they're beautiful..." he said smiling slightly and staring off to the side.
"Twins, a boy and a girl?" he nodded "wow... I guess you don't have to worry about whether or not your sperm is strong or not" I joked trying to get a smile out of him. But instead of laughing or smiling, even just a little, he just stared at me like I had two heads. "Sophia I just found out I have two kids to take care of now is not the time to want more kids."
"But John last night... we didn't use protection" I said reminding him of the fact that just yesterday he wanted me pregnant.
"I'll go to the store and get something, I have to see how much finances I have put away. I don't know if I'll be able to afford these two." I looked at him in disbelief at what he was saying "John do they even know you're their father? They are going to need time to adjust, and we have more than enough money saved. And no I will not take anything to get rid of a baby we may or may not have created." I said standing up, my voice rising with each sentence.
"Sophia I can't take care of two five year olds and a newborn all at one time." He said shaking his head at me. "John you won't be doing it alone... I can't believe after everything you want me to have an abortion." "It's not an abortion if there's no baby there." he said taking a sip of beer. "Then you don't have to worry about it being a burden on you" I said shaking my head and walking out of the kitchen.
I put on my slides and opened the front door. I need a breather. I closed the door as I heard John calling for me. I walked down the drive and around the corner. I couldn't believe he said that to me. I know he was worried and stressing about things right now, but I didn't understand. How could he suggest something like that?
I wasn't paying attention where I was walking, and I didn't recognize where I was. So I turned around and was walking back the way I came. It wasn't until I got a few cat whistles and I saw that the streetlights weren't on that I realized the time. I also noticed how dark it was, and that I wasn't really dressed for the weather either. It didn't help that I didn't have my phone on me.
I started to walk faster and was looking around when I bumped into someone. I looked up and I saw the same guy I bumped into at the bar last night. He smiled and wrapped his arms around me "Well well well, look who it is. Hey beautiful, it seems like we were just meant to meet seeing as you keep bumping into me like this." He squeezed me tighter
"How about you come inside?" I was squirming trying to get away from him but he wouldn't let go. "Hey man what you doing over there, leave that girl alone and let's get back to business" I heard a voice and it sounded so familiar.