hanahaki - part three.

lance woke up in the middle of the night to a choking sensation. he couldn't get any oxygen from his mouth or throat. relying on the thin streams of oxygen from his nostrils, he tried throwing up on the middle of his floor. he was lightheaded and dizzy.

wise men say

he quickly heaved the petals out, now soaked in saliva. there were tears in his blue eyes, as lance collapsed to the floor. he passed out for an hour before waking up.

"only fools rush in."

lance couldn't eat without the rancid taste of withering weeds in his throat. during breakfast, lance snuck into pidge's room. "what do you do when you have hanahaki diseasr" lance desperately typed, ignoring spelling or grammar issues.

"The Hanahaki Disease is caught by one-sided love, and can be slowly cured if feelings from the person the patient love is reciprocated. The only other methods of curing is immediate surgery."

lance wondered how far-fetched it was to ask keith whom he liked.

lance decided to ask, then play it off as a dare if keith questioned him. he walked into keith's cold room.

"keith," lance started. "do you like anyone romantically on this ship?"

"yeah."

lance's heart raced- this could be the moment when he's relieved of this disease.

"w-who is it?"

keith slowly looked up from his blade, which he was sharpening.

"shiro."

but i can't help
falling in love
with you.

lance felt a rush of petals come up his throat. he choked and ran out. keith found it weird but didn't go after him.

pidge saw lance running down the hall, into the bathroom. he had his hands over his mouth, so pidge knew exactly what was happening. she jogged after lance and saw him shoving his toothbrush down his throat. "lance!"

he passed out for a bit, the taste of dead flowers making his eyes water.

like a river flows
surely to the sea-
darling so it goes
some things
were meant to be.

was this supposed to happen to lance? was it fate getting back at him? maybe it was inevitable. lance lied on the ground, weak. there was an abundance of petals surrounding him, more in his contracting throat.
pidge ran to get keith.
keith was, of course, with shiro.

keith walked into lance's room to find him barely breathing, as he was sweating and coughing.

keith hesitantly held his cold hand.

take my hand
take my whole life too
cause i
can't
help
falling in love with you.

lance had died holding the hand of the love of his life.