Part 9

Mick's POV

I was certainly surprised when Stevie called me. We haven't seen each other or spoken to each other since she quit Fleetwood Mac, it's been years. I should have known she needed something from me, she wouldn't have called otherwise. I was ready to be an asshole to her, but she mentioned it's got something to do with Mia. I miss my baby girl, we drifted apart, but I suppose, I only have myself to blame. 

Pulling into the driveway, I'm telling myself to try and be civil. But then I remember that Stevie married Lindsey and I clench my fist. Nothing was going on between them, right. Getting out of the car, I shut the driver's side door and make my way to the front door. I used to live in this house, this was my house.

Soon enough, Stevie opens the door for me and shows me to go inside. I don't know what to do or say and that's very rare for me. We just look at each other for a moment, then Stevie smiles weakly and opens her arms for a hug. I was definitely not expecting that, but I hug her back.

"How are you?" I ask, following her to the living room.

"I've been better, can't lie." She says, sitting down with a heavy sigh. "Can I get anything?"

"No, thank you." I decline and because I want to avoid small talk, I ask her about Mia. "So, what's this all about?"

"Well... Remember Ryan?"

Her divorce lawyer? "I sure do." 

"We dated, you know that. Then something happened and I broke it off. We hadn't seen each other for quite some time. Then I found out that Mia is dating Ryan. She started seeing someone, she told me, but she didn't introduce me to him for months. She said, it was serious and she moved out to live with him. She kept it a secret, because she knew I'd freak out and I did, when I called, wanting to talk to her, but Ryan answered the phone."

I frown, leaning forward in my seat, my hands clasped in front of me. "I thought he was too young for you, but he's certainly too old for my daughter."

"That's only a part of the problem." Stevie says, fidgeting with her rings. "I'm going to tell you something, but you have to promise to keep your mouth shut."

"I swear." I nod my head once, laying a hand over my heart. 

"Lindsey is not Ethan's biological father. Ryan is."

It takes me a minute before it sinks in. "Wait..."

"Right." 

I turn to look at Stevie, repeating what she said just to make sure I got it right. "Ryan, your ex, is the father of your child and he also happens to be dating our daughter."

"Yes." Stevie nods. "It's a mess." She shrugs her shoulders.

"It's not just a mess, Stevie. It's beyond crazy!" Actually, the thought disgusts me. How, why... "And you approve?"

"I do not." Stevie shakes her head. "I tried talking to Mia, but she doesn't listen. Then I told her that maybe I should leave what happened in the past and move on. I promised to give Ryan a chance."

"Then I'm not sure why you asked me to come here." Sounds like she's got it under control.

"I invited Mia and Ryan over for dinner one night and something just seems off. Lindsey sees it, too. Ryan doesn't seem sincere, I don't think his intentions are good. The whole thing seems so forced, Mick, like Ryan wants to prove himself to me rather than Mia."

I frown, what does she mean exactly? "You think he's got some kind of a plan?"

"I'm afraid so. Lindsey thinks that Mia is just a replacement for me to Ryan."

I exhale heavily and lean back against the couch. I tap my fingers on my knee, all sorts of thoughts in my head. "I trust you, Stevie. If you feel like something's not right, it probably isn't. But how can we open Mia's eyes? I doubt she's going to listen to us, especially if you've already tried."

"Maybe you should try and sit down with her alone. The bond you two shared since she was born, I'm sure you two still have it."

Stevie tends to overreact, but the sound of her voice makes me believe there's a reason for me to be worried. I don't really know Ryan, but I'd rather got to the bottom of this situation and found out nothing is going on than do nothing and have him hurt my girl. 

"I'll talk to Mia and I'll have a word with Ryan, too."

"Thank you." Stevie smiles, sounding slightly relieved. 

Stevie doesn't ask me to leave right away. She offers me a cup of coffee and we sit down in the kitchen, catching up. Besides the situation Mia got herself into, Stevie seems quite happy with her life. I'm happy for her. I still love her and probably always will, I care about her a great deal. 

We hear the front door being unlocked and Stevie guesses it's Lindsey. I tense up, but it's not him. It's Mia. She looks like she has been crying and she's nervous for some reason. I'm sure she didn't expect to see me today either.

"What's the matter, honey?" Stevie asks, already by Mia's side, hugging her around the shoulders. 

Mia hesitates. Her gaze shifts from Stevie to me, then back to her mother. Stevie encourages her to speak and Mia sighs, getting emotional. 

"I'm- I'm pregnant."

Well, it seems like break up is no longer an option. Damn.