Part 2

Stevie's POV

I just can't wrap my head around it. How, when and why did this happen? My daughter and my ex boyfriend, who happens to be the father of my son, dating. They're dating, they live together. There's got to be something wrong with the both of them. I know as a mother I'm supposed to support my children, but I'm not sure I can support Mia this time. 

Mia called me last night, asking me if we could see each other and talk, she wanted to explain. And explain she must! Because I don't understand and I don't think I ever will. I knew Lindsey had to run some errands today, so I told Mia she could come when he wasn't here. Lindsey's been more like a father to her than Mick has, so naturally, Lindsey wasn't pleased. To say the least. 

I hear the front door open as I'm leaving Ethan's room, I just put him to bed for a nap. A take deep breaths, descending the stairs, trying to remain calm. Not too sure how that's going to work out. I lay my eyes on my daughter and she somehow seems to have changed. She's suddenly not my little girl anymore, she's a woman now, even though she's only 20 years old. 

"Hi." Mia speaks up first, opening her arms for a hug. I hug her back not in the way a mother hugs her daughter, who hasn't seen her in weeks. It's... it's a polite hug. 

"Hey." I say back to her and we stand for a moment. So very awkward. "Can I get you anything? Ice tea maybe?"

"Sure." Mia nods, following after me into the kitchen. She puts down her sunglasses and her purse on the table and takes a seat. 

I bring her a tall glass and place it in front of her. I can't sit down next to her. I move over to the sink to do the dishes left after lunch, making myself busy. 

"Are you mad at me?" Mia asks.

"I'm not mad. I'm confused and shocked, and I don't understand what the hell you are thinking, but I'm not mad." I tell her. "Did he knock you up?" I know it's crude, but I can't help it. Maybe I am mad.

"What, no!" She exclaims. "No."

"Then what, Mia? Why? How did this start?" I stop the water from running and reach for a kitchen towel to dry my hands. "Out of all the men in the world..."

"I didn't plan to fall for Ryan."

"Oh my God, you're in love with him?" This just keeps getting better.

"We accidentally bumped into each other about a year ago."

"You're in two completely different social circles, Mia. How did you manage to bump into each other?"

"It was the opening night of this club. I went there with my friends and Ryan was there too."

"You're under aged, you shouldn't have gone to any club."

"Well, people know me, they know who my parents are, so it's not too hard to get in. It's free publicity for them." Mia shrugs. 

"Publicity? As far as I know, you haven't followed into my footsteps or your father's. You're just our daughter." 

Sighing, she sips the ice tea. "Can we not focus on that?" She's right. "Ryan was alone. He bought me a drink and we started talking."

"My God, this is so wrong." I shake my head, folding my arms over my chest. 

"I had recently broken up with Brandon and... the attention I was getting was nice." 

"You were getting attention from a man twice your age." I say, looking everywhere but at my daughter. 

"At least he's not a man child, he's a man." She tells me and I don't reply. "After some time, Ryan told me he had to go, so I went back to my friends. Before leaving, he gave me his number."

"You should have thrown it out."

"Why? Because you two have history? You broke up long ago. You're completely out of each other's lives, Mom. I liked him, I liked talking to him, so I called him. At first it was just friendly. I came onto him. Ryan actually pushed me away the first time I kissed him." 

I have a sudden urge to vomit. "I don't think I can listen to this."

"Well, you have to. Ryan, of course, brought you up and I said, he shouldn't worry about you. You're married now, you're happy, you're over him. We didn't speak for about a week, then he asked me out. On a date. He was and is a gentleman and none of my boyfriends my age have ever treated me the way Ryan does."

I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose. "The age difference isn't what truly bothers me. Mia, Ryan and I weren't just together. He and I have a son. Doesn't that sound crazy to you?"

"Lindsey has been a father to Ethan since he was born, Mom. That's not an issue."

I remain silent for a minute, then shrug my shoulders, finally locking eyes with Mia. "I think it's insane."

"We love each other!"

I can't help but laugh. I probably shouldn't say this, but I do anyway. "Don't you remember how just a few years back Ryan was obsessed with me? What, those feelings are suddenly gone?"

"Why do you care? You have Lindsey. Let us be happy."

Maybe they are happy, maybe they are in love, but... when I look at Mia right now, she's back to being a little girl. She seems confused herself. I fully believe that Ryan swept her off her feet without having to try too hard, he's just that kind of guy. He's hard to resist. But I don't think what she feels for him is love. 

"I'm sorry, Mia, but I can't support you." I shake my head at her. "You're going to get your heart broken, sweetheart."

"Oh wow..." She pushes the chair back and stands up. "Thank you, Mom. I love you, too." She scoffs and turns to leave.

"Mia, wait-"

She doesn't, slamming the front door loudly, before I get to stop her.