Part 5

Lindsey's POV

I stand in the doorway, watching Stevie play the piano slowly, she's humming to herself. I know she still writes and occasionally comes to sit at the piano, but she's been coming to this room of the house a lot more often since she played those two shows with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I don't want to disturb her, but she knows I'm here, so she faces me and a small smile on her lips invites me in. 

"I don't think I've heard that one before." I say, pulling up a chair to sit next to her.

"I was just messing around." Stevie shrugs, her hands now in her lap. "Lindsey, I want to talk to you about something."

Dangerous. "Okay." I nod. "What is it?" 

"I got a call from someone." She stops there, looking at me, biting on her cherry red nail. 

"Go on."

"I've been asked to co-headline a tour." 

I can't say I didn't have a feeling. Can I blame her? Absolutely not. Stevie's been on a small stage since she was a kid, she grew, she got better and she became the legend she is today. Personally, I've been quite happy with the last couple of years of our lives. I love being a father and I love being a husband. Sure, I still play my guitars, rarely, but I record demos, too. Although, I'm not sure if any of them are ever going to make it on an actual album. I just don't feel like I have to get out there, to be on stage anymore. The way my life is - I wouldn't want to change a thing.

"Well, that sounds wonderful, baby." I tell her, but she hasn't relaxed yet. She did say, a co-headlining tour. I'm afraid to ask. "Who would you be touring with?"

She mumbles something and I don't catch it right away. "Who?"

"Don Henley." She spits it out and I sigh.

There I go again, back to my old ways. The mere mention of that man's name makes my blood boil. There's no reason for me to feel this way. It's been ages since Stevie and Don were involved romantically. Their relationship didn't even last very long, but I know it left a massive impact on Stevie for years to come. 

"Don's idea?" I ask and Stevie nods her head. "How long would you be gone for?"

"We'd start rehearsals in the beginning of July and hit the road in October if I remember correctly. Originally, it was supposed to be Don's solo tour, but he decided he wanted someone to share the stage with. Apparently, I was his first choice."

"I bet you were." I fight back, desperately wanting to roll my eyes. I'm not the same man I once was, I'm not going to forbid her from going. "You know, I don't like the guy."

"You've got nothing to worry about, Lindsey." She assures me.

"I trust you, Steph. I don't trust him." I add and she gives me a look. "What?"

"I think we're too old for that, sneaking into hotel rooms at night, having some mediocre sex, just for the thrill of having an affair." Stevie laughs heartily and I join her. But one thing she said, stands out.

"Mediocre you say?" I smirk and she shakes her head at me. "I want to know, I'm the best partner you've ever had." She giggles, hanging her head low. "Come on, Steph. Tell me." She's blushing. "Tell me or you're not going on any tour."

Stevie's giggles subside and she looks back at me, trying to appear serious. "Lindsey Adams Buckingham, you are the most fantastic, generous, caring, passionate, just the best lover I have ever had in my whole entire life."

"Yeah, you're not bad either." I shrug and she nudges me in the ribs. "Kidding. I've already told you that everyone else pales in comparison."

We stay silent for a moment, then Stevie speaks up again. "So... Are you okay with me joining Don on that tour then?"

"You wouldn't have listened to me if I said no anyway." Which is true. "But you asked and that's important." If we had found ourselves in this situation, let's say back in the mid 70's, when we had just joined Fleetwood Mac, Stevie wouldn't have cared for my opinion. She would have done what she wanted to do. "Sure, sweetheart. I'm sure the fans have missed you as much as you've missed them."

Stevie smiles, her arms going around my middle as she kisses me on the cheek. "I love you."

"I love you more." I unclasp her hands and bring one to my lips, pressing a kiss to the back of her hand. 

I will have to find a new hobby for myself to keep me busy, while Stevie's around Don Henley. Otherwise, I'll go crazy. 

~

Obviously the dates for that tour are to fit the story. I don't think that's very important anyway :) Thanks for reading ♥