CHAPTER 8

Through sleep Christina heard her phone buzzing. She didn't bother to look at ID knowing perfectly who it was. Adam. He already called her a couple of times during the evening.

"Hey" she said drowsily.

"Are you sleeping?"

"Yes. Something happened?" Christina was still lying on her pillow talking through her sleep.

"No. Max fell asleep. He's a little bit better now"

"Good" Christina smiled lightly. "Then why do you call?"

"Just to hear you voice"

"Didn't you have enough of it? More than you usually get" she smiled.

"Well today is the only day when you let me call you every minute"

"Could you do it when I'm not sleeping?"

"No, because then you wouldn't be so kind to me"

"I'm not kind. You just don't see my angry face" she teased him turning to face the ceiling as she placed herself more comfortably. "I guess I don't have a choice as to talk to you"

"You don't" Adam smiled. They were quiet for a couple of seconds. "I wish you were here right now"

"I could have been by now"

"But then you would miss an interview tomorrow"

"So what? I have thousands of them and just one son"

"You'll know everything about him by phone as I promised to inform you every detail. And tomorrow you'll be here. So he would be fine. By the way when will you be here?"

"I have an interview at 10. I think I still won't be able to get back earlier than 7pm" Christina sighed.

"Will you just pick him up or...?"

Christina cut him off. "Can I stay with you?"

"What?" Adam was definitely taken aback. Christina was expecting such a reaction. But really what was she planning to do? Staying for a night with Adam? It was his dreams come true. But she would do it just for Max.

"I would be late and... and I don't see the sense of taking Max home at night. But I want to stay with him. So is it ok with you?"

"You know the answer" he said quietly.

"But Adam..."

"What?"

"It is just about Max"

"Don't worry I understand"

The next day she arrived at Adam's house as she planned, at 7pm. They have been talking a lot for the past few hours. After her interview was finished she headed to the plane where she called Adam to find out how was Max. She was busy the whole day and she hadn't talk to Max or Adam since yesterday's night. During the flight they called each other a couple of times. When Max slept they spent long time talking. Well it was just once and the talk lasted for about an hour. They didn't really noticed how time flew by until Max woke up and called for Adam.

It just seemed so natural. No tension between them. No thinking that something was wrong or right. Just simple unconcerned talks.

"Hey" Adam said as soon as he opened the door and saw Christina in front of him.

"Hey" she smiled coming in. "How's Max?"

"He's fine. He's in the bed upstairs" Adam led Christina to the room where Max was.

"Mommy!" Max exclaimed seeing Christina coming in.

"Hey honey" Christina sat on the edge of his bed hugging her son and kissing his forehead. "How are you?"