Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Daniel led me towards another huge ballroom which I didn't know existed back when we first came. This one was bigger.

I marveled at the three huge chandeliers that hung above us. It was covered with dust and cobwebs but it still looked magnificent. The ceiling was high and the broken glass on the huge damaged arched windows was at the entire left side of the room. The walls shown signs that the place was burnt but the whole place managed to still stand. The sunlight creeped its way inside the room filling it with its vibrant rays of light as much as it probably could.

After admiring the room, I had stood at its center. When I stopped to face Daniel, I saw him walking towards me after he had placed the bottle and glasses on the grand staircase in front of me.

"About that prize. . ." he trailed off. "I've been thinking and I've decided what I want."

I unexpectedly looked at him and listened as he finally stopped in front of me just a few feet away.

"It's about the ball." he added as he casually slid a hand in his corner jean pocket.

"What is it?"

He smiled his ever so boyish smirk as he looked me in the eyes and said, "I want a dance with you."

'What?' I mentally asked myself, baffled, looking at him like I didn't just hear what I heard.

"I said I want a dance with you at the ball." he slowly repeated, making his voice clearer, louder and more serious but I still could not believe it.

"Come again?"

He lightly laughed before saying, "I want a dance with you at the ball. It's as simple as that."

I stood there silent, frozen but I could feel warmth running up to my cheeks, filling it with color.

I finally mumbled. "Well, there's no harm to that, I suppose."

"I'll take that as a yes then."

We stood there staring into each other's eyes until I looked away, feeling another blush creep in because of his electrifying gaze.

"So, uh. . . what are we doing here?" I asked him.

He walked away, momentarily stopping in front of a small table in the room which had a small box on top of it. It was the music box we found in the bed room. He opened it and made a few more turns in its knobs letting the music flow from the music box, filling the entire room.

"Well, have you ever been to a ball before?" he suddenly asked.

"No."

"Have you ever danced in a ball before?"

"No."

"Then it should make sense why we're here."

I looked at him, confused.

He moved closer and he slowly took my hands in his. He placed one to rest on his shoulder while another one was gently in his own. He pulled me towards him gently with his other hand at the small of my back.

"We are here, " he said, momentarily stopping to look at me and say, "to dance."

"I-I'm not very good at dancing." I said, slowly removing my hands from his but he didn't let me.

He firmly held me close and smiled. "Then all the more reason to practice, right?"

I looked at him, unsure of what to do or say as an excuse.