Chapter 14

Chapter 14

We slowed our pace as we rode through town. Daniel seemed really interested about the place, especially since this kind of lifestyle was probably very different from where they lived. I couldn't really ignore him now so I gave up to his wishes. After passing the market and town square, I explained various things and stories about Arxean's town to its history.

"It was said that Arxean had a certain role in this silly old town story. Well, it's not much of a rumor but more of a folklore." I said, telling him a old folklore that had been passed down from many centuries.

"Do tell." he said, curious.

"It was said that long ago, near this very town, there was a huge manor owned by a very renowned and respected Duke. He was such a great and kind man that he gained the favor of the King. The King was said to have given a mystical treasure to the family: the Duke, his beautiful wife and their only daughter. This treasure was given in token of the Duke's loyalty and friendship. They kept the town at peace until one night, something unfortunate happened to their family and their manor was mysteriously burned down. There was no trace of their family after that night. The manor's ruins are now hidden in no one knows where and the treasure disappeared- lost, never to be found till this very day."

After I finished the story, I looked over at Daniel who had stopped and looked liked he had seen a ghost.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, concerned.

He remained paralyzed for a moment before saying, "Yes, I'm fine. It's just that I think I've heard that story before. It's kind of. . . never mind."

"What?"

"It's kind of overwhelming and yet lacking." he said with a slight tinge of hesitation and nostalgia.

'That was weird.' I thought but didn't further wonder about it.

"Can we stop by a shop before we proceed? I need to buy some materials." I said, changing the topic.

He simply nodded as a reply. We then headed towards a small shop just near the town's end. We tied our horses outside then went in the shop. As we went inside, we were greeted with the scent of paint and pastels. I missed these. I walked towards the counter and rang the small bell.

"Oh, Hello Evelyn. Good to see you're back. What can I get you?" said an old man dressed in loose art clothes splattered with paint.

"Hi Bert. I'd like the usual." I said with a casual smile.

"I'll get you the new supplies." he said returning to the back of his shop.

"I didn't know you paint." Daniel stated, as he looked around the shop filled with paintings and sculptures.

"Now you do." I said, stating the obvious.

He walked towards me with his hands in his jeans. When he was already in front of me he asked, "Is there any chance I might see one of your works?"

"Maybe." I replied, a bit teasing.

"I'll take what I can get." he smiled, shrugging.

Our talk was cut short when Bert went back in with a bag of paint, paint brushes and about five small blank canvasses.

"Here you go Eve. I'll give this to you as a welcome gift." Bert generously said with a smile.

"Thank you!" I happily said as I took the supplies which Daniel helped me carry and then we went out of the shop.

We strapped and place the supplies on Orion's carrier bags. After that, we rode back towards the manor. We wear already near about few miles from the manor when Daniel suddenly called out for me to stop.