Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"I still can't believe you accepted their invitation." my dad grumbled before he took a bite of his toast.

"What was I supposed to do? Decline?" my mom asked, raising her voice.

"Yes. That would've been better."

"I would but it's too late. I already agreed to accept their invitation."

"You could have but you didn't."

"Because I didn't have a choice!"

"You do! You could've chosen to reject their offer."

"Please understand that I did it because we owe the Whitlocks. I couldn't decline Eleanor's request. We have to go."

"Helen, we are not going." my dad firmly stated.

"John, we are going. This is also a big order for the shop. The least we can do is take the privilege." she calmly said, trying to ease my father.

"Am I the only one here that sees the inevitable outcome this will lead to?" he said with an exasperated sigh. "Look, I know that we both don't want this to lead to that. And I am positive that this will end badly if we don't put a stop to it now and avoid the worst scenario that might happen from actually happening. "

"Don't you think I, of all people, know that?" she said, hurt in her voice. "John, I- I know. I know this will be hard but I want to stop running. I am done. It has to stop."

I walked in the kitchen and my parents fell silent. They didn't know I was eavesdropping on their entire conversation and I don't intend for them to find out.

"Good morning." I said, as normal as I possibly could. I went straight towards the fridge to grab the orange juice and took a glass from the rack.

"Good morning." both my parents greeted me in return, acting like they weren't in an argument just then.

"So, why were you two so loud this morning?" I asked, acting like I didn't know what had happened.

"Nothing sprout. It's just that your mother and I have a certain. . . disagreement about something. Don't worry. It's nothing big." my dad stated sounding a bit unsure as he put his arm around my mother's shoulder.

"It's nothing we can't resolve sweetie." my mom added with a forced smile that I could clearly see through.

I nodded my head and settled for their answers. I didn't want to probe further into their discussion. I understood that it was about the Whitlocks' ball invitation but it was like they were talking about something beyond that. It seemed to really bother my dad and emotionally conflict my mom. If it was enough for them to argue over it, then it was a serious problem. I wanted to ask but I think they'll just brush it off and talk about something else that is very unrelated to it.

I was half-way through my toast when they decided to join me at the table. My dad took a sip of his coffee and my mom drank tea before she cleared her throat and caught my attention.

"Eve, since we will be attending the ball," my mom started as my dad gave her a "we're still going to talk about this later glance" from across the table. "You will stop working at the orchard until the ball."

"Why? It has nothing to do with the ball."

"Well, Madam Eleanor insisted, so today will be your last day of work."

I looked at her, frowning, saddened by the thought of not being with Zia, Katie, Aunt Martha and Uncle Francisco. I won't be able to see Daniel either.