The Meeting

Patton was a small child when he met his soulmate. He met a boy named Roman in second grade, and Patton, being the friendly child he was, began to corner the boy into friendship. Patton spent a lot of his days with Roman, following the boy around. They stayed glued to the hip for years, and they only figured it out in fifth grade. 

The older of the duo came into school after summer vacation, telling everyone he was a prince, exciting his other classmates. Patton joyfully asked him if it was true, bouncing up and down happily. 

"No, I just wanted attention." The boy admitted, slapping his hands on his mouth.

"Roman, you shouldn't lie." Patton huffed.

"Patton, I meant to say yes." Roman said slowly, realization dawning on him. "Try saying a lie to me." 

"My shirt is blue." Patton said, giggling, then stopped when he heard himself. "Are we?" 

"You're my soulmate!" Roman shouted, picking the smiling boy in front of him and swinging the younger around. They laughed in the middle of lunch, raising the eyebrows of their classmates. But the two didn't care, they sat down eventually, just smiling and spouting whatever comes to mind. Not much changed. 

The two would sit closer than before, talk for hours about each other, hold hands, and have sleepovers. Patton stayed up at night, gushing to his younger brother about his soulmate. His little brother, who went by D, didn't understand any of it. The boy loved to lie, but Patton would help him with that.

Patton sat in the park, waiting for Roman to appear. They were in seventh grade, and going on their first official date. Sure, they had sleepovers and play dates, but this would be their first time on a date that was actually called that, and they were alone. 

Once Roman got there, they began walking around, simply talking.

"Hey Roman!" Patton let out.

"Yes, Pat?" Roman raised a brow. 

"What do you call a factory that makes good products?" Patton asked, his smile widening to the point his eyes were squinted.

"What?" Roman asked, knowing where this was going.

"Satisfactory." Patton giggled, Roman soon joining in. 

"Okay, Papatton." Roman hummed. 

The two soon sat under the shadow of a tree, laying out on the ground, staring into the blue sky. "That one looks like a dragon!" Roman shouted, turning heads their way. After everyone went on with their business, the two went back to staring at the sky. 

"I'm hungry." Patton complained, jumping to his feet. 

"I saw a hotdog stand when we came in." Roman suggested, pulling his boyfriend with him. They skipped over to the food stand, ordering two hot dogs, then walked away. 

Patton walked happily, his eyes focused on his boyfriend when a foot came into contact with his face, causing him to drop his food. Some kid did a carwheel into his face. 

"Oh my god, are you okay?" A boy with bags under his eyes asked.

"No, my face hurts really bad, and I'm holding in tears." Patton stated, eyes growing wide.

"I'm really sorry. I can't afford to pay for the hotdog, but I'll do it anyway to stop you from crying." The boy with bangs panicked, then preceded to panick more when he heard his words.

After a few seconds of confusion, the two stared at each other, ignoring Roman's yelling at the emo for hurting his boyfriend. "Try lying." Patton said, eyes blown wide.

"I'm going to try to say the sky is red. The sky is blue." The tall kid breathed more quickly, muttering some numbers afterwards. 

"My eyes are blue." Patton tried, just to be sure. "Are we..." Patton trailed off, trying to piece it together.

"But, that's impossible, we're soulmates." Roman cried out, turning to the new member of their duo. "My jacket is brown." Roman said, eyes expanding as he flashed his brown eyes back to his jacket, as if to make sure. "I was trying to say blue." 

"I guess we are soulmates." The tallest of the group mumbled, pulling his black jacket closer.

"Well, it's nice to meet you kiddo, I'm Patton, and this is Roman." Patton introduced them, eyes squinted in slight confusion. 

"I'm Virgil." The new soulmate greeted, a small smile flashing on his lips.