Chapter 11

I sat in Biology twirling my pen in my hand while the teacher was lecturing about heredity and the way to figure it out. I was trying to take notes, but boredom was itching at me making it harder to concentrate.

            “Ms. Luce,” the teacher called out.

            I looked up staring at her. “Yes?”

            “Would you mind telling the class how to set up a Punnett Square?”

            She extended the marker out towards me indicating that I would have to draw on the whiteboard. I stood up and pushed my chair back in while walking up to the front of the class. I took the marker feeling all eyes on me as the teacher stepped way waiting for me to draw on the board.

            “Screw it.” I muttered.

            I drew a box on the board and cut in half vertically and horizontally. My brain froze as I thought back to what I had learned.

            Out of the corner of my eye I saw Niall had it drawn on his paper and he was pointing to it while looking at me with a smile. I copied the paper carefully without trying to draw notice to what I’m doing, but also had to do it in order which Niall was pointing out subtly as well.

            “There.” I said.

            The teacher took the marker back with an annoyed look. “Go back to your seat.”

            “Gladly.” I said.

            I strutted back to my seat and took a seat and looked up to see Niall turning around with others looking at me like I was about to die. The teacher was continuing the lecture while she was avoiding my gaze.

            The bell rang.

            Everyone stood up and started heading out while others fell behind picking up fallen supplies. I was in the middle of the herd in the halls trying to get towards my locker. Niall was a few people ahead of me and was trying to break through to get to his locker.

            I got to my locker after pushing a few people aside – gently of course – and put my books back and slammed my locker. Niall was leaning to the lockers and smiled at me. “Ready for Performing Arts?”

            “Yeah,” I shrugged.

            We walked to Performing Arts and I was still trying to memorize the way to my classes. I knew that I would be lost if Niall wasn’t my buddy to walk to classes. He kept making sharp turns and we got to the Auditorium where the other students filed in.

            The class was very small, Niall said it was a secret blow off class, and I was thankful that I didn’t have to bring any books. Niall and I sat in the back as the teacher walked in with a smile on his face. “Hey!”

            The class waved at him.

            “We need to start painting the scenery for the play. The art class will be joining us so I’d hope you would help them.”

            Everyone stood up and started walking towards the stage while the teacher ran backstage, but Niall grabbed my arm.

            “C’mon!” he said.

            I followed behind him as we ran out into the hall and took many different turns with Niall looking around with a smile.

            “What’re you doing?” I asked.