Chapter 37 - The Day with the Sun

"Lily-flower, Alice sent you a letter," James said. She glanced up to him from the table. He stood in the doorway of the kitchen, a letter in his hands. She extended her hand, and he put the letter in her hand.

She unwrapped the letter, happy to hear from her since it had been a few months since had spoken to Marlene, Alice, or even Dorcas.

Dear Lily,
I hope your well, it's been so long since we've been together. That's what I've owled you about — since we haven't seen each other in so long, me and Frank are going to be having a reunion. Marls will come, Dorcas and her new boyfriend will come, and I hope that you, James, Sirius, Remus and Peter could make it too. It'll be next Saturday, so please come if you can!

Owl me soon, with love,
Alice

"James!" She hollered. He appeared in the doorway of the kitchen again.

"Alice has invited us to a reunion! It's next Saturday. Wanna go?" James' eyes lit up with the idea of finally leaving the house, since the only reason they could leave the house was to go to get food from a market, or on Order missions, it got quite boring there in Godric's Hollow.

"Really?" James said, sitting down next to her at the table.

"Yeah," She said, handing him the letter. He read it over, his grin growing as he got closer to the bottom of the short letter.

"I wish we could go now," He told her.

"I know. All we've been able to do is play chess or read the stupid Daily Prophet."

• • •

"Alice!" She exclaimed as the door opened to reveal one of her best friends. A lot had changed in the few months that they hadn't seen each other. She had cut her hair very short, and it suited her so well. She had somehow grown taller than she had been.

Yet her big, warm smile was the same, her smile reaching her eyes like they always did whenever she saw her. They entered the house quickly, because it has started to rain, with loud, booming shots of thunder.

"Merlin, how are you? How is Auror training?" She asked Alice. Alice gushed about the experience, the people she had met through the training, and how much she had missed her, Marlene, and Dorcas.

"It's raining cats and dogs out there," said a familiar voice. It was Marlene.

"I wish," said another familiar voice. That was Dorcas. The four of them all collided in a great, big hug.

"Lily, this is my boyfriend, Aaron," Dorcas said, motioning to a tall man, with long, brown hair, blue eyes, and was wearing her black dress robes. He extended his hand to her. She took it, but for some reason, she didn't have a very good feeling about him. When he smiled, it didn't quite reach his eyes. His eyes stayed cold, and hard. But she pushed away this thought. If he was with Dorcas, he had to be just a kind as she was. Right?

They all talked with one another, laughing loudly at the inside jokes that they had had when they were still at Hogwarts.

She talked to Frank, who had been a friend of hers when it came to potions, especially. He was very good. He had been one of the best in their year at Hogwarts, alongside her, and her old, ex best friend, Severus Snape.

And, Frank had always been kind to Alice, which was always good in her book about her best friend's boyfriends. They had to be kind, or they weren't worth it.

And then she found her way to James' side. His arm automatically went around her shoulders, pulling her close. She smiled at the feeling it gave her when she was around him.

And then he started to walk, She she walked with him, she arm now around her waist. She smiled up at him, and he grinned to her. He had a funny look in her eyes she had only seen once. When they had gone to the Three Broomsticks, when she and Remus got drunk, and Sirius, James and Peter had somehow not gotten drunk.

It had been the first time she said I love you to him. It had been the first time she had ever heard him say that to her.

They ended up on Alice and Frank's porch, sitting on one of the swinging chairs that you would see in almost all the Muggle houses around.

The rain had slowly started to stop. The rain going down to a drizzle, and the sun slowly starting to peak out from the clouds. She leaned her head on his shoulder.

"I love you, Lily-flower." James said.

"I love you, too." She said back. They sat there for a minute in silence.

"I've loved you since fifth year. I remember realizing it during my Transfiguration OWL. I was writing your initials on my paper. LE. It had a heart around it, too. And I couldn't stop looking up to see the back of your head. And that's when I realized it.

"And I've liked you since I first saw you. And . . . since the last time we went to the Three Broomsticks . . . I've know that all along . . . I've wanted to marry you."

She felt her heart drop to her stomach. Was this real? Was he proposing? She didn't know. She looked up to him. But he didn't look to her. Not yet.

And then suddenly, she took his arm from her shoulders, and reached into his pocket. And he pulled out a small, black box.

• • •

Well, this is the end. I was literally crying as I wrote those last few paragraphs. I will miss writing this story, and I will miss talking to you all, and miss hearing your amazing feed back.

I thank you all for being by my side, and supporting this story so much.

And . . . I hope for you all to keep reading my stories, if you liked this one.

My Cookies, My Rules • RANDOM

Poisoner and Potioneer Extraordinaire • SEVERUS SNAPE

How to Social Interact • DOMINIQUE WEASLE

Darling Dame • GINNY WEASLEY

Interested Rouse • MARAUDERS INSTAGRAM

Truths and Fantasies • LUNA LOVEGOOD

Roses are Red • ROSE WEASLEY

Sincerely, for the last time,
4WeasleyIsOurKing