Chapter 23 - A Visit from Petunia

~Lily POV~

"Lily, dear, there's a lovely owl down here, I think it might be for you," my Mum called up the stairs. I jumped up from my desk, my face breaking into a smile. I sprinted down the staircase, and ended up falling at the bottom stair.

"Lily!" Mum exclaimed. I picked myself up again, still excited about the letter.

"I'm fine, I'm fine!" I said, brushing myself off. "Where's the owl?" I asked franticly. Mum pointed to the window, which was propped open, a cool breeze coming into the kitchen. By the window was a snowy white, beautiful owl, a letter tied to his leg. I ran forward, untying the letter from the owl's leg.

I sank into the chair at the kitchen table, looking at who had sent it. It said: To - Lily, From - James . I opened the envelope, and just then, the doorbell rang. Mum walked swiftly to the door, and opened it.

"Petunia, dear!" Mum said, opening the door wider to reveal my sister, Petunia. Her blonde hair was cut short, and curled. She looked even more thinner than at her wedding, at which she was already skin and bones. She was wearing a pink dress, with black polka dots, that went down to her knees. She was wearing black heels to match her dress, had black sunglasses on, and heavily added make up.

"Mother!" Petunia said, kissing Mum on both cheeks lightly. "How are you?"

"I'm well, and how are you, dear?"

"Amazing. Me and Vernon have found a house of our own, in Little Whinging," Petunia beamed.

"Oh, how lovely! I've never been, but me and your father will have to go and see you! And Lily, of course!" At this, Petunia scowled, glancing at me. But after a second, she was able to turn her scowl into a smile.

"That would be lovely," She said, faking a smile, but I could tell that Mum didn't notice. Mum beamed, closed the door, walking into the kitchen, Petunia at her heels. I turned back to my letter.

Dear Lily,
How are you? I've been so bored here with Sirius, we've got nothing to do(except Quidditch, of course). All Sirius talks about is how hungry he is, or that he misses Hogwarts or something like that. It's quite annoying. I've heard that Alice and Frank's wedding is this summer, during August, and I would hope that you would accompany me as my date. I can't wait to see you again. I hope that at some point this summer, that you would come over to my house for a couple or days, or so. It would make me super happy to have someone other than Sirius to talk to(don't tell him I said that). Write back soon, I hope your having a great Holiday.

Love,
James

I grinned at the letter, and stood up, ready to go back up to my room and write back, hoping to get his letter as soon as possible, but Petunia stopped me.

"Who was writing to you?" Petunia asked, her eyes narrowing slightly.

"No of your business," I said coolly, starting to walk away.

"Now, Lily, don't be cross with your sister," I looked at Mum. She frowned, and I rolled my eyes.

"Fine," I sighed. "James wrote to me, and I was just about to go and write to him again."

"Who's James?" Petunia asked.

"He's my friend, " I muttered, trying to get away, but Petunia stopped me, yet again.

"Is he your boyfriend?"

"I have to go," I said.

"Lily," Mum said impatiently, just as I reached the top of the stairs. I sighed.

"Yes, he's my boyfriend, so will you just leave me to write my letter?" I said, nearly yelling out of anger. I saw my Mum drop the spoon that she was holding, and squealed, clapping her hands together, but before she could stop me again, I ran to my room, shutting the door.

I had decided to leave out the part that me and James had become a couple, because I knew it would cause lots of drama, what with my first 'serious' boyfriend. I know my Dad would want to know more about him, and want to talk to him. I locked my door quickly, making sure that my Mum couldn't come in and try to talk to me about it.

I set the letter on my night stand, next to three pictures; one of me, Alice and Marlene, all smiling in the Three Broomsticks, holding up Butterbeers, and laughing.

Another was of me, Mum, Dad and Petunia. It was taken years ago, before I had even met Severus. We had taken a family vacation to Paris. In the picture, we were standing in front of the Eiffel Tower. It was a beautiful picture, and it reminded me of before Petunia had grown to hate me.

The last picture was of me and James. It was in the spring, me and James' first date. I moved the letter so it was propped up against the picture of me and James, and then took out a bit of parchment, my quills and the ink I still had from the past year at Hogwarts. I was running low, and needed more, though.

I started to write Dear James, when there was several loud knock at my door.

"Lily, why didn't you tell me that you had a boyfriend?" Mum asked. I continued to write my letter, ignoring the knocking. There was knocking for about three minutes until it stopped, and I heard her footsteps die away down the hall.

I finished my letter, sealed it, and slowly walked to the door. I unlocked it, and opened it, listening for any sign of my Mum lurking outside my room, but I heard nothing. I slowly left my room, walking down the hallway. I heard the talking of Mum and Petunia. I took out my wand from my back pocket, thinking of what I could do to get down to the kitchen and send the owl off without being noticed.

James would know just what to do. I wish he was here. Maybe a diversion? Maybe I could destroy that ugly vase in the den? Well, dad always told me that he hated it, anyway. It was a gift to him from his sister, but Mum made him keep it. I glanced over to the den, pointed my wand right the vase on a small table next to the small couch.

"Reducto," I muttered, and I watched as the vase blew to pieces. I heard the shrieks from the kitchen, and then saw Mum and Petunia hurry into the den, out of sight. I dashed down the stairs as silently as possible, took the snowy owl from the window sill, and sprinted back up into my bedroom.

As I shut my door, I grinned, thinking of James. I can't wait to tell him in person about how dramatic I was! I mean, I just made a vase blow up so I wouldn't be noticed! I think James had made an imprint on me.

• • •

Sincerely,

4WeasleyIsOurKing