Chapter 34 - Burnt Cup Cakes and Finding Mrs. Evans

~Lily POV~

"My Mum is missing, you need to find her!"

"We're doing everything we can, Ms. Evans."

"Set off all your good Aurors to find her!"

"We're doing everything we can —!"

"Well, it's obviously not everything, because she still hasn't been found." I stormed from the office of Rufus Scrimgeour, Head of the Auror Department. I walked quickly down the long corridors, past different rooms, full with desks, stacks of paper, quilts, bottles of ink, pictures of wanted Death Eaters and where they could be known to be hiding.

I hopped in the elevator, angry with the Ministry, that they didn't care a damn whether my Mother was dead or alive. A few other wizards and witches walked onto the lift with me, and soon after, the doors to the lift slowly closed. The cool, calm voice of the witch from the elevator rang out each time it stopped to drop someone off.

It took a while until the lift stopped at the stop I wanted. Once it did, I strode out, walking down the long corridors filled with witches and wizards who were off to their work. It was nine o'clock. I enter one of the fire places, and disapparated, ending in the dark alley close to where we lived. I took my wand out of my pocket, and glancing up and down the deserted side walks, walked down the lane, our house coming in view.

"Lily, how'd it go?" James asked, who had been sitting at the kitchen table with Sirius and Remus. I took my coat off, hanging it up on a hook.

"Not very good," I sighed, sitting down next to him and Remus.

"They'll find her, Lily," Remus said assuringly, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"But what if she's dead already!" I exclaimed. Nobody spoke.

"Lily, you just have to . . . Hope that she isn't." James said.

"But that's not good enough!" Silence.

"I'm sorry, I'm just . . . Worried."

"It's s'okay."

"Lily, maybe you go get some sleep. Prongs said you haven't slept in a couple days." Sirius said. I nodded, and left the room, walking to my bedroom. I laid down on the bed, and knew that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep. I took my book from my night stand, Hogwarts: A History.

I read the words without really comprehending them, my mind on other things.

• • •

"Why don't you eat?" James asked me a couple hours later.

"I'm not hungry," I said stubbornly.

"Come on, Lily, you need to, you didn't have any breakfast this morning."

"I'm not hungry," I said again.

"Lily —"

"James!" He looked frightened for a second, at which I laughed.

"That wasn't funny," James said, glowering.

"It was funny! Ha! You think I'm scary!" I laughed.

"I don't think you're scary!" He exclaimed.

"You do!"

"What do you want to eat, I'll make you some food."

"Whatever you make is burnt. We've been over this!"

"I'll watch it this time, I swear!"

"Even Sirius is a better cook than you, and you know who Sirius is."

"Sirius isn't a better cook than me, Lily, you're supposed to be on my side, here!"

"Yes he is! He only burns half the things he tries to make."

"Well, he just doesn't try as much as me!"

"He still doesn't cook that terribly! Remus, is another story,"

"Oh, don't start," James said, sitting down on the bed at my feet.

"He's the best cook in the house! Have you tried his cup cakes?"

"Yes, I have! He isn't that great, he's good!"

"No, he's amazing, admit it,"

"Okay, I admit it. He is a pretty great cook,"

"Finally," I sighed. "But you're good at doing the laundry. You have no computing there, that's for sure."

"Yeah, I don't really know how, but I guess I just get it from my Mum." James said proudly.

"Probably. Also, what are you getting me for my birthday?"

"Like I'd tell you, I'm going to go tell Sirius what it is, and make the best cup cakes I've ever tasted, and you won't get any because you have no faith in me."

"I have plenty of faith in you, James. I just don't have any faith in your cooking skills."

"Fine, you don't have any faith in my cooking skills,"

"There you go," I laughed. James jumped up, and left the room, and I decided to get up soon, or the house would probably burn down.

I walked into the kitchen a couple minutes later, where James and Sirius had their backs turned away at the table, muttering quietly.

"Talking about my present?" I asked. They jumped violently, and I saw James quickly stuffing something in his pocket.

"Yes, actually," Sirius said cooly.

"Could I see?"

"Nope! Here, let me make you some cup cakes now!" 

"Here, I'll sit here and watch, so I can help you if you burn it."

• • •

"Lily!" Remus exclaimed, the door banging open. I jumped, and looked at him. He looked out of breath, but happy.

"What, Remus?" I asked eagerly.

"They've found her! They've found your Mum!"

"What?" I asked, surprised and taken aback.

"They've found her! She had been gone the entire weekend at a relatives house!"

"Wait, no, no, she was just visiting someone? Oh my, Merlin, I should've known. Oh, I'm so dumb," I exclaimed, taking my coat and skipping on my shoes.

"I can't believe nobody thought of it," Remus laughed.

• • •

Hey guys! Sorry this chapter took so long, I've been having a writers block for a while, but I'm back! I know this chapter was kinda sucky, but it's something, at least! Thank you all for the votes, reads and comments!!

Sincerely,
4WeasleyIsOurKing