Chapter 35 - The Faint Footsteps

~Lily POV~

"Lily, have you seen my Invisibility cloak?" James asked. I turned away from the book I was reading. James stood in the doorway of the kitchen. I shook my head.

"No. The last time I saw it it was on the couch, though," she said, thinking back to when she had set it there after finding it on her desk. James left the kitchen into the living room, and I went back to reading my book.

Only, thirty second later, I could hear small footsteps. I looked up, and knew James was right in front of me, just under the cloak.

"James, what are you doing?" I asked. The faint footsteps stopped, and I rolled my eyes. "James." I said impatiently, jumping up and walking around the kitchen, my arms outstretched.

My hand smashed into something invisible, and I took hold of the cloak, and pulled it away. To my surprise, James, Sirius and Remus were under the cloak, wincing slightly.

"What are you doing?" I said, my eyes narrowing.

"Places . . . Specific places." Sirius said quickly.

"Specific places?"

"Yes," Remus took the cloak and threw it back on the three of them.

"No, no, no, wait. You aren't going to do some prank, are you?"

"No! No, why would you think that?" I heard James say.

"Why wouldn't you just leave? It would look much less suspicious if you just left,"

"We had this all planned out," James sighed, taking the cloak off, revealing the three of them again. "We were going to buy a gift for . . . Someone. Can we please just go?"

"A gift for who?"

"That's classified information, Evans," Sirius smirked.

"I thought you let go of the nick name?"

"Old habits die hard," Sirius said. I rolled my eyes, shaking my head.

"Fine, you can go, just promise you'll show me the gift at some point?"

"Will do, Evans," Sirius replied, and the three boys left through the door. I sighed and sat back down at the table and read my book.

• • •

"I told you things were expensive there!" I heard Remus exclaim. I glanced up, and James, Sirius and Remus were walking into the kitchen, arguing about something. But they didn't seem to have anything in their hands that suggested they bought anything.

"I didn't think it'd be fifteen galleons would be the price!" James argued.

"You've been there before, you've seen their prices!" Sirius said.

"Alright, alright, it wasn't that bad a price," James replied to my alarmed expression.

"Fifteen galleons?" I exclaimed.

"You know my family, Lily, they're rich! It wasn't that bad!"

"Well then, can I see it? Must be pretty if it costed fifteen galleons."

"No, you can't see," James said.

"What, you told me you'd show me —!"

"Only at some point, Evans, as I remember," Sirius said.

"What? No, that's not fair!" I huffed.

"Life's not fair, Evans,"

"Don't worry Lily, you'll see it soon." Remus said. They all left the room again, and I sat back down at the table.

• • •

More foot steps.

"James! What the hell are you doing, and why are you doing with the Invisibility cloak?" I yelled angrily. I could hear another annoyed sigh. James and Sirius materialized in front of me, Remus wasn't there that time.

"We have to go do stuff!" James exclaimed.

"Where's Remus? Isn't he supposed to stop you from doing this stuff?" I asked.

"Remus took a nap, and we left because Sirius insisted that we don't wake him up,"

"Well, did you want to wake him up? You know how he is whenever we wake him up for anything other then school," Sirius said defensively. James rolled his eyes.

"Whatever, we just have to go to my Mum and Dad's house," James said.

"Why? Could I come?" I said.

"No, you can't come it's personal stuff, and it's personal stuff." Sirius said firmly.

"But I haven't seen your parents since last Christmas!"

"Lily, Christmas was like two weeks ago,"

"So?"

"It's — about a gift for you," Sirius said. I sighed in frustration.

"Mum and Dad are going on a trip to Romania, so I want to say goodbye before they leave," James said.

"Well is like to say goodbye too!"

"Alright, fine, we'll bring you along, only if you don't try to figure out what your present is," James said. I nodded.

"Fine, I won't meddle."

"Good, now come on," James said, pulling me and Sirius our the door. We ran down the street to a dark alleyway to Apparate.

With a small pop, we left Godric's Hollow and appeared in front of a large manor.

"I always thought your parents's house was so big," I sighed, walking forward. Sirius and James followed me to the front door, and I knocked twice, lightly.

James's mother appeared at the door, a great big smile on her face, because she always seemed to be happy.

"Lily! Sirius! James! So good to see you all!" She said, stepping back to let us in.

"Hi Mum, just came to talk to you and Dad about Lily's present. It's pretty big." James said. At this, her eyes grew wider.

"Oh, you haven't done it yet! James, I thought you told me how much —!"

"Mum! I was only talking to you about that! Don't let Sirius and Lily let you hear my thoughts and feelings!" James said.

"Don't be ashamed because you're in love with girl!"

"You just found out?" Sirius asked.

"Oh, months ago,"

"I found out years ago! Like in fifth year!"

"James, is that true?" I asked incredulously.

"Yeah, I've loved you since nearly the day I met you, not very surprising, can we talk now? Sirius, you can stay with Lily," James said quickly, putting his arm around his Mum's shoulders and walking her quickly out of the room.

• • •

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I really hope the next chapter will come soon!

Sincerely,
4WeasleyIsOurKing