Chapter 3 - The first day back ...

~James POV~

9:00 - Charms
10:00 - Divination
11:15 - Potions
Lunch
1:15 - Defense Against the Dark Arts
2:30 - Astronomy

"Well, not too bad of a Monday," I say, looking at Sirius, Remus and Peter. "I'm just happy that I didn't pass History of Magic. I hear it gets even worse this year."

"You know James, you shouldn't be happy that you didn't pass a subject." Remus said.

"Oh Moony, you know that you dread the time when you go back to History of Magic today at 10:00." Sirius said.

"It's interesting!"

"It's never been interesting! The only thing that was interesting was when Binns showed up one day a ghost instead of a person."

"Well, I agree with Remus." Someone said behind me. I recognized that voice. It was Lily. I turned and grinned at her.

"Okay, how can you agree with him, Evans?"

"Well, History of Magic is very . . . fascinating. Especially since I'm a Muggle-born." She says, sitting down across from me and taking a piece of toast.

"Prongs, when are you going to have Keeper and Chaser tryouts?" Sirius asked me, changing the subject.

"This Friday, I think." I said.

"Your Chaser, right?" Lily asked. I nodded. Then, the bell rang, the five of us got up, and went to the Charms classroom.

• • •

~Lily POV~

"Oh, I wonder what we're doing today." I say to Alice and Marlene as we stand outside of the Potions classroom. It looks like almost everyone is here.

"Good Morning, class! Come on in, come in." Slughorn says, opening his door and standing back to let all students through and into the classroom. I go forward and sit at the front of the class next to Alice.

"Alright, we will be practicing the Draught of Peace. Look in your books on page 62 for the instructions and ingredients. You have one hour. You may start." I open my book to page 62, look at the ingredients, and I go straight to the cupboard of ingredients, and take everything I need. When I back away from the cupboard, my arms full of supplies, I knock into someone. I turn around, and I see that I bumped into James.

"Oh . . . sorry." I say, blushing furiously.

"Not a problem." He said, grinning. When I get back to my desk, Alice looks at me, and gives me a funny look, her lips forming into a smirk.

"What?" I say, growing even more red.

"You've never blushed like this. Especially around Potter."

"Oh, it's nothing. Have you - er - got your ingredients?" I say, trying to change the subject.

"I will in a second . . . What happened between you two?" She asked.

"Al, nothing-"

"Don't you 'Al, nothing' me!"

"Go and get your ingredients!"

"Okay, fine," She then pointed at me. "But when I get back, you are going to tell me everything."

"And me too!" Marlene piped up. Alice and Marlene hurried towards the cupboard, grabbed their things and hurried back.

"Now." Alice said.

"Tell us." Marlene said.

"It was nothing. Yesterday on the train, after the prefect and heads meeting, he pulled me aside and said that he was sorry for being so terrible over the last six years, and that he wanted to be friends. Surprisingly, he didn't even ask me out once. Usually, by now, he would've asked me out probably 10 times. I actually think that he's moved on from me."

"Lils, I don't think he'll ever move on from you. He probably just wants to . . . make things better between you two before he does anything else." Marlene said.

"Maybe . . ."

"How do you feel about him? Wanting to make things better between you two?"

"I honestly don't know. I mean, we've only been back a day, and things already feel different."

"A good different, or a bad different?"

"A good one." I say without thinking. And its true. I look over at James, and I can see that he's laughing at some joke that Sirius had said. I guess I've never noticed how the smile on his face reaches to his handsome hazel eyes. He notices me, and gives me a small wave, running his hand through his hair. I wave back, and turn back to Alice and Marlene, again, blushing furiously.

~James POV~

I look up and see that Lily is looking at me. Her emerald eyes are soft. I've never her eyes soft when she's looking at me. I try not to blush as I give her a small wave. I run my hand through my hair. It's a nervous habit that never grew out. She waves back, and then turns back to face Alice and Marlene.

"Was Evans looking at you?" Sirius asks, looking over at them.

"Yeah, but I dunno why. She's never looked at me like that."

"Maybe she's come 'round. You better be getting out your galleons."

"Don't be ridiculous, Padfoot."

"I'm not being ridiculous, Prongs! She likes you!"

"As a friend! Well, maybe not even as a friend. She could've just been being nice - or - er -"

"Prongs, she wouldn't do that. I know Lily. The Lily I know would never do something like that." Remus said.

"Ugh! Why don't girls just say exactly what they want, instead of keeping it all from us?"

"Because life's not fair."

~Lily POV~

Alice and Marlene have been having a conversation, except they're not talking, only giving each other weird looks.

"Okay class! I would like you to put some of your potion into a vial, label it clearly, and bring it up to my desk. Since this is your first lesson of the year, all I ask of you to do for homework is take 10 minutes and study. After all, this is your NEWT year!" Slughorn said. I took a vial, poured some of my potion from my cauldron into it, labeled it with my name, and brought it up to Slughorn's desk.

"Ah, this looks almost perfect, Ms. Evans!" he said, taking my vial and setting it in one of his desk drawers.

"Thanks, Professor." I say, turning and bumping into someone. I look up, and none other than James Potter is looking down at me, grinning funnily.

"Oh, sorry again James." I say, blushing again.

"That's quite alright." He said, running his had through his hair again. I hurried back to my desk, took my bag, threw it around my shoulder, and hurried out of the class.

• • •

Okay, so that's the third chapter! I'm super happy (and a little surprised) that I already have 2 votes! Thank you all for reading and voting! Please leave suggestions and comments! And, I'm sorry that I haven't updated in a while, I've been on vacation, and I've been updating my other 'book', "He Changed . . . ~A Jily Story. Thank you all again for voting and reading!

Sincerely,
DragonLea