Chapter 38

T H I R D  P E R S O N

Later that night, Maya set Evie down to sleep in her crib, in their new home. Farkle stood behind her, draping the fluffy,pink blanket over their daughter.

Maya lowered the blanket. "So she doesn't get to cold, or too hot. She's already wearing a cozy onesie." She explains, and Farkle nods, making note of that in his head.

"There's a lot to learn over the next few days, huh?" Farkle chuckles, and Maya joins him with a nod. "You know, May...you did a great job with her. You know...for being on your own."

Maya smiled lightly at the compliment. "Thank you. You'll get the hang of it, I promise."

"So have you heard anything about Riley?" Farkle causally dawns the question on Maya, just as they start the dishes.

"No. I went upstairs and she-she wasn't home." Maya tells him, and before Farkle can ask anything else she adds: "They went on a trip-Zay,Smackle, Lucas and Riley. Without us. Can you believe that?" The slight hint of sadness in her voice was enough to refrain him from asking anything else.

"So you left without saying goodbye? Does she know you were moving in?"

"No, but she will when she gets back. I tried calling, but that didn't work." Maya began loading the dishwasher. "Why are you asking? Did she call you?"

"No, no of course not. I think she would call you first if anything." Farkle reassured. Maya nodded and he continued to scoop the remaining food off the plates.

"My mom wasn't too happy," Maya began, and explained what had happened just two hours before. Sure, Katy may have overreacted a bit, but Farkle couldn't look past the fact that there might be some truth behind her words.

"She totally overreacted," Maya finished, as she threw herself on the couch, exhausted.

Farkle reminded quiet.

"Farkle?"

"D-Do you think she's right? I mean she has a point...are we rushing into this?"

"No, of course not. I think I made the right choice." She responded confidently.

"But, is this right?" He couldn't help but ask, he wanted to do the right thing. He always wanted to do the right thing.

"Yes," Maya answered. "We're right. Our daughter deserves a happy home with two parents and she needs you in her life-she needs her father."

"I agree, but she was equally as happy back with your mom and Shawn. Don't you think so?"

Maya's head rolled a bit to look into his eyes. "Yes, she was. But it's not the same. The way she looks at you- I just couldn't keep her back home. What was I going to do? Move in without her?" Maya quirked an eyebrow at the last question. She almost wanted to laugh because she would never leave her daughter, they belonged together. Wherever she was, her daughter wasn't far behind, and vice versa.

"Of course not! I didn't mean that...I-I just don't want to tear you all apart. Evie deserves to be with her grandparents-"

"And with her mom and dad as well." The blonde added, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze. "Me and my mom will be back on good terms in no time."

"I don't know... that argument sounded pretty bad, she walked away crying and everything. She's pregnant, May I feel terrible."

"I know she's pregnant, and that she's hurt. It won't be too long before we work things out. How come you need her approval all of a sudden? Doesn't it matter to you that we are all together?"