Chapter 25

M A Y A

Once my mother had finally felt at ease enough to let me be alone I took the opportunity to text Farkle.

Maya
Coast is clear. You can come whenever.

I waited a bit, and when I got the little chime from notifications my heart leapt with joy because Farkle texted back. Geez, it's stupid I know but I really like him, so bear with me!

Farkle
I wil be there in 20 minutes.

I typed in a quick 'ok' and then set my phone aside as I tried to work on a new sketch I'd been visualizing for the past week. I just couldn't bring myself to draw it with all the commotion and craziness of the week. I'm really glad I have down time right now, just me and my baby on this peaceful winter night. I hop down from my bed, and grab my sketch book and set of drawing pencils from underneath my bed. I always keep them there for sake of privacy. Although I should really consider putting them somewhere else since in a matter of weeks I'll be as big as a melon. Well, my belly at least.

I hop back in bed, sitting up, and plugging my headphones into my phone so I could listen to some music. I focused on the shading, and shaping of the mother I was drawing, and made sure to make the baby small and delicate, a heart in the mother's chest connecting down to her baby, symbolizing their unique bond.

Once I am finished I hold up my drawing and make corrections here and there. In the end I smile to myself as I see the beautiful piece of art I've drawn, and decided to get it framed once the baby's bedroom area situation is all planned out.

               _________________

F A R K L E

"Pretty bad what happened to Maya," I hear my dad mutter, as he stirs the stew we were making in the pot over the stove.

"Yes," I answer a sudden heaviness coming over my heart when I remember the event that occurred earlier.

"That sure did look like a miscarriage," He tells me, a wondering tone lingering in his voice.

I remain quiet, but keep chopping the vegetables.

"Why did we go to her to begin with?" Dad questions.

"Don't tell your Dad." I hear Maya's voice echo in my head.

I felt a rush of nervousness wash over me. "Uh, um, it's nothing."

"Nothing?" He looks over to me sternly, and I nod.

"It can't be nothing if we hailed a cab, went about like mad men down and up the stairs, and even went with the girl to the hospital!" He argues, I can tell he's loosing his temper by the way his tone rises with everything word.

I take a deep breath, wanting so bad to tell my dad the truth. But I can't since I told Maya I wouldn't tell him until she wanted me to.

"I was just being a good friend," I simply state, and thank God my Dad didn't bring the conversation up again.

__________________

After dinner Dad retrieved to his room looking a bit uneasy but overall tired. About twenty minutes later I began my journey over to Maya's. I hailed a cab, not wanting to walk the dark, dangerous streets of New York.

I could feel nervous tingles and an unsettling, exciting feeling in the pit of my stomach. I payed the cab, then made my way out and up to Maya's apartment. Instead of going through the front however, I climbed up to her window, using the emergency fire stairs in the side of the brick building.