Chapter 10

F A R K L E

F A R K L E

"Would you like me to take you?" My dad asks as I finish sipping up my small suitcase. He was referring to take me over to Riley's so that we could be on our way to Philadelphia in a matter of an hour.

"No, it's fine. I know you have things to get done..I'll be taking the subway." I finish sipping up the suitcase, then I begin to level it on the ground, bringing up the handle to drag it.

"Son, I'm very sorry. You are well aware of all the things I have to get done." I nod slowly. I know he has a lot of work to do but I wish he could realize that I'm his son and I need him. Specially during these times of the year.

"I know," I say truthfully. "I just wish that you could make time for me sometimes."

"Farkle.." He begins but cuts himself off. "I know, son."

"Specially now more than ever-..." I cut myself off realizing I'm beginning to open up to my dad about Maya and I's situation. "With the holidays and all, I mean."

"I understand." My dad embraces me and I hug him back. 

I hope things change with my dad just like they've begun to change with Maya.

I knock on Riley's door and Auggie opens it. As soon as it opens I can hear the rumbling and loud talking going on inside the apartment. People are running around in all sorts of directions, bunches of stuff all about.

"HI, FARKLE!" Auggie screams. He steps to the side, allowing me space to enter. Mr. and Mrs. Matthews are gathering snacks in the kitchen, and Riley, Zay, and Lucas are bringing out luggage out into the living room. They see me and Riley runs over to me, attacking me in a hug.

"IM SO GLAD YOU'RE HERE!" She yells, smiling so hard her cheeks turn a blossom pink.

"ME TOO!" She hugs me one more time, and then leaps off my arms.

I begin to help them as we bring luggage downstairs so that we can begin loading it into the family van. Soon enough, as we finish we come upstairs and throw ourselves out of breath in the couch. Mrs. Matthews hands us a tray with cups filled with icy lemonadeb and we all reach out for one almost immediately, thus making Mrs. Matthews laugh. A knock is heard shortly after...

"Riley door," I say.

"Lucas, could you get that?" She turns to face him, still trying to catch her breath.

"Zay," Lucas nudges him softly. "Door."

"AUGGIE!" Zay hollers. Auggie shows up, sighing.

"Why is it always Auggie?" He asks to no one in particular as he walks over to the door lazily.

"Hello, youngsters!" We hear Mr. Hunter step in. Along with him were Mrs. Hunter, Maya's mom, and Maya. Maya smiled happily as she stepped in with her family. The excitement was evident on her face.