Chapter 32

F A R K L E

"Why would you think Lucas is Evie's father?" Riley repeats, and I sigh, not knowing what to think at this moment. I can't believe my father had been lying to me this whole time! He convinced me he was looking out for me, when in reality all he's done is kept me from my friends, and the two girls I love with all my heart. What surprises me the most is that he didn't act alone; Smackle too was involved.

"My father had told me the child Maya was pregnant with was not mine," I begin. "Smackle then texted me a picture of Maya and Lucas at her gender reveal party."

"Well, YOU COULD'VE ASKED!" Riley exclaims as she launches for me ready to attack me for hurting her best friend, but Lucas holds her back. I nod, realizing how stupid it was of me to just leave as my dad had planned and not talk to Maya first. She must hate me. I would hate myself too.

"The only thing we can do is clear things up," Lucas points out, still covering Riley's mouth, then turns to me to say: "Maya was not lying. She has waited for you to come back all this time."

Riley nods happily, but her mouth is still covered.

"Then what about the check she accepted from my father?" I question, still trying to clear up my father's lies. Things are finally starting to come together, but I still want to talk to Maya too.

"I donated it to John Quincy Middle School." Maya's voice is heard throughout the room. I turn around slowly, whilst getting up. My heart palpitantes faster and faster as I see before me the petite, rebellious blonde I haven't seen for a year. I want to run to her, to hold her tight against me, but I know that I'm in no position to be doing so now. I messed up.....really bad.

"They were going to cut the art and music classes for sure, and I gave that check up to help." She says sincerely, and I don't doubt her one bit. I know how important those clases are to Maya, specially art.

Soft cries are heard throughout the house, indicting the baby has woken up. Excitement shoots through me, just as Riley says: "GREAT! YOU'VE AWOKEN THE MONSTER!"

"Let go of me, Lucas!" She squirms, but he holds her tight and covers her mouth up again.

"Riley and I will leave you guys to talk," He says for both of them, and stands up to throw Riley over his shoulder and exit.

"HELP ME FRIENDS!" Riley's whines are heard from down the hall. Evie cries some more and Maya goes to her. I wait there on the living room anxiously awaiting to see my daughter. My breath hitches just at the thought of her name, and I grow nervous with the possible idea of holding her in my arms for the very first time.

"Shh, it's okay." Maya coos, coming into view with our daughter. Maya inches closer to me, and I stand. Maya takes the baby, and spins her around. She indeed has Maya's big blue eyes, but my darker hair, and my paler complexion. She smiles at me and throws her little feet around in excitement.

"Farkle," Maya begins. "Meet Everly Riley Minkus....our daughter."

Standing here and looking at her I can't deny she's mine. I feel so stupid for ever thinking Maya was lying to me, and for believing all those lies my father told.

I just want to hold her in my arms and fix everything between Maya and I.

"C-can I?" I question, referring to holding my daughter. Maya purses her lips and thinks for a bit, then nods a bit then hands her over to me.

"Hold her here," Maya positions my hand right behind the baby's back, so that she doesn't fall over. My other hand is at her bottom, and then I pull her to me. I bury my nose deep in her hair, smelling the fresh baby lotion smell on her, and feeling the warmth she radiates. Everly lays her head on my chest, and I run my hand slowly in circles behind her back, soothing her back to sleep.

"Thank you." I say to Maya, but she arches a brow. "I'm glad you liked the name."

She nods, catching my drift. "It's really pretty."

I smile, then look back down to my daughter, hearing her soft little sleepy breaths and my heart warms even more. I already love her so much, and I've just met her.

"You want to put her down to sleep?" Maya asks, but I refuse. I need to hold her. I need to feel her here with me, and I feel a strong need to start making up for time lost. I can't change what has been done, but I'm willing to fix things.

"Maya I'm so sorry," I whisper over to her sadly as we take seats. "My father had told me so many lies, including that Evie wasn't mine. That you wanted to trick me into this, so that you could benefit from my father's money."

"I never believed that of you, of course I did not." I assure. "But I did think Lucas was Evie's father since Smackle also helped my dad to add to these lies."

"It's a sick game they play," Maya tells me as she shakes her head. "I only ever wanted you here."

Tears begin to flow out of her big blue eyes, breaking my heart little by little. "I needed you all this time, and they've kept us apart."

I nod, also beginning to tear up out of sadness and fury. We sit there in silence, just softly crying. I hold my daughter tight to me, enjoying her before I do have to put her in bed since she begins to squirm.

Stepping into Maya's room brings back so many memories. I put Everly down so that she can continue her nap, and I turn to see Maya.

"I'm so glad to have you back." Her gorgeous ocean blue eyes pooled with tears, which I noticed seconds before Maya pulled me into her embrace. I rubbed her back in small circles in order to sooth her sobbing. Hearing her cry just breaks my heart and only adds to the sadness I already feel and the fury I feel towards Smackle and my father.

"Will you leave again?" She looks up at me, tears flooding her sad eyes.

"I'm not leaving anymore." I tell her, and hold her tight to me, taking in her warmness and her magical flowery scent and I feel complete.

I'm finally home.

••

Hey, lovelies!

So glad to be updating :), and I hope all of you are having a marvelous week! ❤️

P.S. picture of baby Evie above in multimedia. isn't Everly so cute?

•comment!

•vote!

&

•share!