Chapter 37

F A R K L E

I was in the grocery store, picking up groceries before Maya and Everly move in later today. My cart and I made our way through the baby isle, and I placed down a couple of items like baby food, baby snacks, and picked up some powdered milk. Just as I was walking to check out my cart bumps into someone's.

"I'm so sorry—" I begin, and see Lucas standing in front of me.

"Hey, Farkle!" Lucas greets, smiling. "Loading up for the baby I see."

We both laugh. "Yeah, Maya and the baby are moving in."

"Oh, really? That's great!" Lucas' eyebrows shoot up.

"How's Riley?"

"I don't know. She's been avoiding me the past few days." Lucas shrugs, but his eyes look sad. "I hate to say this, but I thought she was PMSing."

"I thought that too you know with..." Lucas nods, so I don't say her name. It wasn't probably a good idea to bring that situation up since Smackle and I broke up eventually. "I-I'm sorry for saying that, Lucas. Smackle and I ended, but I'm sure you and Riley will stick together." I give him a reassuring nod.

"D-Does Maya know anything?" Lucas asks before I leave. "I mean Riley always stays in touch with Maya..."

"I'm not sure." I say to refrain myself from saying 'Well, Maya has been wondering where her best friend is too.' "I'll tell her to give you a call if anything."

M A Y A

My emotions were everywhere. I thought Riley and I were best friends and didn't keep things from each other. I thought we had more trust than this.

Seeing Josh after so long also didn't make things any better. It reminded me of those feelings that had died over the last year, and it brought me back to Thanksgiving. Nonetheless, I'm happy it's all done and over with.

"You okay, baby girl?" My mom asks, shutting off the TV in the living room and patting a seat next to her on the couch.

"Riley, Zay, Lucas, and Smackle all left without me." I say into her shoulder. "I thought we were like family. Family doesn't leave each other behind. Right?"

"No, but I'm sure they'll come around." My mother says as she strokes my hair.

"M-Maya? Are you actually moving in with Farkle today?" My mom asks a few seconds later. I sit up.

"Of course I am. I'm not letting what's going on stop me."

"But, don't you think this is all....a little rushed?" She questions, and my heart drops.

"W-What? Mom, you know how I feel about starting my family. How could you ask this?"

"I know, I know. But I'm just looking out-"

"For what, Mom? I'm not moving in with some random stranger, I'm moving in with Farkle-you know? The nerdy kid who knows everything and anything?" A reassuring smile tugs at my lips.

My mom reaches out for my hands, her face serious. "Maya, Evie is only six months old. This is all going to be so new to her- and to you. Have you thought this all through?"

"Not really. But I'm sure she will be happy to have her mom and dad around."

"You are making a careless decision Maya. You are not thinking this through!" My mother retorts.

"Why are you telling me all of this on my moving day? How could you? How could you do this knowing this means everything to me, that having a complete family with Evie is all I wanted?" I stand, ready to grab my daughter and our things and storm out.

"Because she already is happy here! She has a family! And so do you." Mom argues, also standing.

"Well it's time I start thinking of my own family too mom. I can't just stay here with you and Shawn and the new baby."

"Why not?!"

"Mom you need to let me go."

"You're only seventeen years old Maya! You're not old enough to make these kind of decisions!"

"But I'm mature enough to. I'm a mother, mom. I need to do what I have to do for my child, and to ensure she doesn't turn out like me."

"So that's what this is about, your father. Well I can't help that your father up and left. I can't help that you were broken because of it. I can't help that I had to take up so many shifts and I wasn't around all the time, Maya. But don't you dare rip away everything my granddaughter knows and holds true to her heart just because of your past!"

"How could I not?! How can I just randomly do away with all those memories and all those nights I woke up during heated arguments? How can I forget all those times I beat myself up over homework because no one was around to help?! How can I be selfish enough to not give my daughter the opportunity to have the things I wished I had? How can you be selfish enough to hold me back from doing that?" I was crying angry tears by now. I can't believe that my mom will stop me and Evie from being with Farkle, specially after everything that happened.

"Whoa, what's going on here?" Shawn steps into view, balancing my daughter in his arms. Evie looks at me with big, glossy blue eyes.

"Mom doesn't want me to move in with Farkle." I tell Shawn.

"Well..." Shawn begins and goes quiet.

"I can't believe you," I tell Shawn. "You also know how bad I want this." I wanted to yell and scream but I didn't want my daughter hearing that after she woke up to hear me and my mom argue. Evie reaches out for me and I take her from Shawn.

"Farkle will be here in fifteen minutes-"My mother reaches out for Evie. She hugs her tight, and Evie smiles cupping her tiny hands around her grandma's face. She hands Evie back to me and then leaves, covering her face with her hands. Shawn stays to help me pack and helps us get everything down when Farkle arrives 15 minutes after.

•••

Hey guys!!

I know, I know long time no see. Please don't kill me 😭. I was having phone issues which only got solved yesterday. I hope you guys are well and I'll be uploading again sometime today or tomorrow!❤️