build up.

She doesn't even realize that she does it, it's just a slight word of denial or not letting Regina know that she needs help. Emma has been used to doing things on her own and taking care of herself since she was able to know what care is. 

Emma and Regina have been dating for a few months now, it all started out completely subtle. They started having weekly family dinners with Henry, then they would take family trips with Henry out of town but after Henry turned to the age where your parents are no longer cool and more suffocating they stopped having Henry as a reason to see each other. Eventually, Regina called and asked if she wanted to come over for dinner because she made extra food and Emma thought nothing of it so she headed over. They talked about work and how their days were, Henry, and the town. Personal topics weren't really either of their favorite topics so they were happy with avoiding it and just enjoying each other's company.

Random times that Emma 'accidentally' made extra food turned into 'I'm going to granny's would you like to join me?' which turned into meetings on lunch breaks as well during the day.

By the time a few months of that had gone by and people started to talk, more specifically Emma's mother came to her with awkward questions and not-so-subtle askings of if Emma was gay. The blonde mostly just skated around answering them somehow, but one night Snow had literally just blurted out 'are you and Regina dating?' to which Emma started to choke on her beer that her mom had handed her and waited for her to start drinking to ask that question.

Emma hadn't really thought about it much until that moment, she was happy with how things were going with the brunette mayor. Yes, she may have feelings for her. Yes, she may think about kissing her every once in a while but that tends to happen when you are around a beautiful woman and you're a lesbian. 

She never answered the question, David ended up coming home and she used it as an escape to go home and sleep since she needed to work the early shift tomorrow.

A few weeks after her mother asking that question, Regina and Emma started to date. It seemed so childish to have a girlfriend again, maybe it was just the fact that they are both in their 30's and the name reminds them of high school. Calling them 'partners' sounds like Regina is working in the station with her and then there is significant other which is just a mouthful to say. So, girlfriend, it is. 

Once they started to date is when Regina started to notice that Emma wasn't good with getting help from her. She didn't know if it was because it was her or if it was just in general but it was irritating her. At first, she had just brushed it off as Emma maybe not realizing it was a bit hurtful. Three weeks into dating Emma got sick, here's the thing though, Regina didn't know until it accidentally slipped out the week after.

Regina is sitting at her desk in town hall working on paperwork while only slightly paying attention to it. She needed to get the pile done by the end of the day and she hasn't even gotten halfway through it yet. When she hears the door open she looks up and a soft smile appears on her face, "Hello dear."

"Hi." Emma holds up a bag from Granny's with a smile, "are you busy?"

The brunette stands up and rounds her desk to head towards the savior, "I'm never too busy for you." She gives Emma a peck on the lips and takes the bag to start looking inside of it.

"I got your caesar salad with a small order of fries,"  when Regina frowns slightly Emma chuckles. "If it'll make you feel better I can say they are mine and you can just steal them."

Regina rolls her eyes and takes a fry out of the bag to put it in her mouth, "I suppose a small fry won't kill me."

"I sure hope not."