Heavy

(PURE ANGST OKAY NOTHING BUT ANGST.)

There are many things that Emma was used to feeling as she has grown up in the system and was sent from home to home. There are many things that Emma could handle at the moment that it was thrown at her, none of her life experience had readied her for this weight in her chest as she walked out of the mansion she once called home.

She hears nothing but silence even though there was a woman in the living room calling out for her to come back, her vision blurring from the emotions she couldn't even feel anymore. What am I going to do now? How is this actually happening? Her key finds its way into the engine, unknown to her how she made it out of the house, and she turns it as the door to her side slams shut with her inside. Out of all the possibilities that she had thought of happening as she got home from work, this was not one of them. Emma never thought she would ever be without a home again, without her family, but here she was. She sat in the car for a moment without moving, it was like she was incapable of understanding how she ended up here again. We were happy, we were married, how did this happen?

There was a woman coming out of the front door of what used to be her home, she can tell the figure was screaming at her to get out of the car but it just sounded like she was underwater-it felt like she was at the bottom of the ocean and was only sinking further and further down.

"Emma, Emma!" The woman called out as she walked closer to the car with guilt as tears streamed down her face, "Emma, please! Come back inside and talk to me, please."

Emma stepped on her break as she pulled the gear shift into reverse and then turned her head to face the back, she couldn't be here. As the car drove backwards out of the driveway the woman, who was asking so desperately for the blonde to go back into the house, ran after the car. She tried holding onto the hood but then Emma turned and switched to drive leaving the brunette standing at the end of the driveway watching her wife drive away unsure where or when she was ever going to see her again. The worst part is that it wasn't Emma's fault, Emma was faithful. Emma wasn't the one who had a horrible day and a low moment only to sleep with someone she didn't love.

Regina was. 

_____________________________24 hours earlier_________________________________

"Gina, babe!" Emma calls out to find her wife somewhere in the house, she has to head out to work soon and she wanted to say goodbye. She knew that they had both been extremely busy lately with work and the blonde was thinking of something to help make up for it. Maybe she'll get them a weekend away in a cabin or something more up Regina's alley like a 5-star hotel with all the perks and no interruptions. "Regina?" She sighs as she made it down to the bottom of the stairs and still saw no sight of the mayor. As she walked into the kitchen though she saw why the woman wasn't answering, there was a note on the table for her:

Em,

I headed into work a bit early dear. Sorry that we missed each other but I really had to go.

kisses,

Regina 

Emma frowns at how the note was a bit more formal than what is usually left for her if Regina goes to work early. Most of the time there is a promise to make it up to her later as well as at least one I love you, but in this one there wasn't a single one just 'kisses' whatever that is supposed to mean. She couldn't worry about it all day though, she had a busy day as well but it wasn't full of work. It was full of planning for this special weekend she wants to give her wife, she just happens to be working on it while on the clock for work.

The station was empty meaning that David must be at home with Snow and Neil, she might still have a bit of resentment but overall she has gotten over it with the help from Regina of course. It took her a few months but Emma soon realized that family isn't only who your parents are but who you choose to spend the rest of your life with. She chose Regina and she always has Henry, the blonde doesn't need anyone else, she went her entire life without her parents. Emma wasn't dependent on anyone to take care of her, they missed the first 28 years of her life.